overheating problems with a 1990 2.1 Auto Caravelle

Asked by Nov 05, 2013 at 11:27 AM about the 1990 Volkswagen Caravelle

Water not flowing to radiator -  removed thermostat flow regulator , made no difference.
What is the  problem most likely to be ? and are these cars known for overheating. the vehicle was fine untill i took it on holiday and went slowly up a steep pass, the car overheated and steam was everywhere , i put more water and the temp was up and down like a yoyo after that --- the water going to the radiator was cool.  Thanks Jason

4,855

You may have more than one issue going on here. It's quite possible that the cooling system is compromised at the cylinder head gasket somewhere. A compression leak down test should be done. Secondly, the proper filling and bleeding procedure for the Vanagon, which has two heater cores and 40 feet of hose between the radiator and engine bay, is a critical task. If not done properly, air remains in the system and can cause all kinds of problems like the one your having. Third, the thermo-switch in the radiator can be failing causing intermittent cooling fan failure. I recommend replacing that, doing a coolant flush/fill/bleed and test driving again. Check out Vanagon.com for excellent articles and information to help you on your way. Finally, if you don't have a Bentley manual, get one...it will save you money. Good luck.

10

Goodday you my bus problem is the timing belt is cut so how do i fixed a new one pls help me thank

4,855

Please specify what model bus you have. None of the ones I've worked on have timing belts. Where is your vehicle from?

10

Good day I have problem on my 2.5 microbus its engine so what must I do?

Ho guys i have a problem with my 2.3 microbus is blasting the water bottle i have replaced water pump, radiator switch,clean radiator and removed thermostat but it is still blasting the water bottle. Can anyone help i don't know what to do as i have replaced everything which is concerning to overheating.

Hello my 2.6 Microbus radiator fan doesn't work when it is on the road but when standstill whereas the engine idling the radiator fan will kick on and when it is moving pipes which transfers water to the front and back are filled with air. It doesn't have thermostat and no water leaks