Car overheating

40

Asked by May 15, 2014 at 08:15 AM about the 2006 Dodge Charger

2006 charger, overheats and causes the antifreeze to get boiling hot and spills over. We changed the thermostat, replace the water pump, plus belt. But the same problem keeps happening. What's wrong?

360

These cars are notorious for the cooling fan motors going bad. Scan the vehicle and see if you have any codes, and start with those. You can go to any of the major parts stores (advance auto, autozone, etc) and get your car scanned for free. If that doesn't produce any results, start the car and turn the A\C on, open the hood, and watch the fans in front of the radiator. If the engine is at full operating temperature, both of the fans should be on. If it's not at operating temperature, at least one of the fans will come on no matter what, when the A\C is on. If, after about 60-90 seconds, neither of the fans comes on, then one or both of the fan motors is not receiving power, or the motor itself is bad and needs to be replaced.

40

Thank you for your response, but the A/C wasn't even cooling, it keep running hot air. Both fans are operating fine. We are told that one of the cylinders is not functioning and that they may have to check the gaskets.

270

Hi! Did you ever find out the problem? I have a 2007 dodge charger that keeps overheating. Ive had the thermostat and water pump replaced and its really been a big headache. Ive had it at two garages and they just cant seem to figure it out. I was told they did a cylinder yest on it and it past. Im wondering what was the final probpem that had you back on the road??

40

My fan are working fine

390

I have a 08 3.5 v6 charger just replaced radiator and still overheating. Both fans come on at correct time. No leaks except for when it gets hot but can't solve problem. Next is cylinder pressure test

290

I have a 07 2.7 v6 and Im having the same problem. My car overheats instantly once I cut the air on. I changed the themostat but its doing the same thing. Can someone ANYONE help??!!!!

70

Having the same issue with my 2006 charger. Put in a new sensor for the fans, changed the thermostat, and shop ruled out cracked or warped heads; still overheated. Going to try and do a radiator flush that I got from AutoZone, we will see if this helps at all. Sucks that this happens with this car and we all have to keep playing the guessing game.

230

Did anyone ever find out why the 07 charger keeps overheating? I have replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, and both fans and it still runs hot when the a/c is on.

390

I just dropped our charger off at the shop last week and the owner diagnosed it with blown head gaskets. I was told that one of the cylinders 3 or 4 was losing pressure. He was surprised because the car was not running rough at all. Even on one of his test drives it didn't get hot on the temperature gauge but when his mechanic returned it was spewing coolant from the reservoir. So now I'm having the head gaskets and heads done. I will update the outcome when I get the car back in about a week or so.

390

I forgot to mention in my previous post. He put in a new thermostat and fan switch to eliminate those out of the equation. I had already installed a new radiator. So after all that is when they did the cylinder test and came up with the diagnosis.

30

I have a 08 daytona charger & it ran hot when i turned the a/c on. Took it to the shop & had the radiator replaced but i still had the issue except it didnt spill all the radiator fluid out. Got it tested again & they said it was the a/c liquid line which is the hot side! It has 2 screws to remove it. Its very easy to replace but the line was $149.99.

80

I'm having the same issue with my 2008 dodge charger heating up and constantly refilling the antifreeze every 2 or 3 months

270

I'm having the same problem. I change the thermostate, radiator, and water pump. It still overheats and water shoots out the reservoir. Need someone's opinion on what it could be.......

390

My result was blown heads. Had to have whole top end done, head gaskets, resurface the heads etc. Not a cheap job but needed to be done. Ever since we got it back no issues whatsoever.

110

I have a question for you Coach77. Have you had any more issues with your vehicle? It's ironic because everything you did I actually did those same steps before I found this site but I haven't gotten the heads or gaskets fixed yet so I'm dying to hear your response.

110

Btw I have a 2007 2.7 V6 and dodge say that it fell the block test and the gaskets may be warped but I was a little afraid to trust the dealership b'c they try to kill you with the prices and labor. What do you suggest I did everything except change the water pump.

390

Catchmeeli, the charger has been running great ever since the repairs were made. I did not go to the dealership for these repairs but instead went to a reputable shop in my city. It wasn't cheap I believe we paid about $1700 +/- for the work which included the head gaskets, resurfaced heads, new timing chain and water pump (since they are under or inside the timing chain housing) and thermostat. I think that's everything. Anyhow I'm glad I fixed it and solved our problem.

110

That's cool Coach77, I guess I'll be trying a shop here in Atl but they went high on the prices and claimed that's not a guarantee fix so that's why I thought I'd ask you b'c we had very thing to happen and it was in the same exact order which was crazy but thanks a lot.

60

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet dodge made a very inferior engine when they built the Dodge Chargers. They should be held accountable but they won't be because most people do not take their cars back to the dealer. I had the same problem, I always take my car to the dealer and they paid for all damages because of the inferior engine that they built.

110

Phoenixx2016 how did you get them to repair it for free? What was said to them that made them not charge you anything?

110

I have a 2007 Dodge charger. 2.7. Engine it's over heating. On me. I change the. Thermostat I tock the radiator to get clean I change the water reservoir and both upper and lower hose. What could be the issue

70

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5 V6. I have an issue with coolant boiling inside the system and spewing out of the reservoir. I took it into my mechanic who pressurized the system to see if I had any leaks. Turns out the hose going from the radiator to the thermostat had a leak. So he replaced the hose and the thermostat. After that he bled the system to rid it of any air pockets and topped me off with coolant and I was on my way. The same problem came back so I brought it in again. It is currently being worked on and I am getting a new timing belt and water pump kit put in. A new head gasket kit put in. As well as getting my heads resurfaced. A job I was told would take about a week and would cost $1,500. I'll post again if this fixes the problem. For that kind of money it better.

20

check your reservoir radiator cap. if the gasket is bad it will not "vacuum" seal the cooling system. Make sure you bleed the system as well.

Phoenixx2016 how did you get the dealer to fix this problem for free? I'm in agreement with the blown head gasket. I have replaced my waterpump and thermostat 3 times in the last year. It seems to work at first but the occasional overheating will occur. The seal on your waterpump will fail after a few months too. I believe this to be from the increase in pressure caused by the blown head gasket. I am in the process of fixing the issue now.

30

My 07 charger just overheated quick question you guys think all have a problem if I put water instead of the antifreeze

70

Water is fine to get you tothe nearest place you can get anti freeze from. Also if you were so low that it caused you to overheat I would recomend sliding some carboard under your car and leaving it obernight to see if it's leaking at all.

I have a 07 charger it only ran hot only if the car was just sitting still I replace the radiator and the thermostat and it still ran hot there wasn't any type of milkiness when I check the oil but come to find out I had a seeping Valve and I had to get my heads redone ever since then I haven't been having any problems

10

I got a 07 charger 2.7 I find out last nite my intake gasket leaking question if my intake gasket leaking would that make it over heat

70

No but a leaking air intake gakset could cause a misfire.

My 06 charger 2.7 just shut down on the freeway because all my coolan is spilled out do you think that's the reason it wont start

70

If your car shut itself off due to it overheating it's possible your heads warped and the valves aren't opening and closing correctly any more. I would have it towed to a dealership or a mechanic you can trust.

10

I have an 07 charger 3.5 it was wanting to over heat but the needle wouldnt move above half ways, then next day it faked an overheating, the needle passed half ways and it made a weird sound but opened the hood and everything was fine, do you guys think its a sensor or the thermostat ?

70

Could be your radiator cap not making a good seal. They only cost like 6 bucks. Good to replace it and rule that out.

30

My 2.7 isn't running hot it just keeps shutting down after 10 minutes. The electric throttle control light coms on, the temperature gauge goes to c and a few seconds later it shuts down for 30 minutes

20

My 08 dodge charger is running hot i changed tyming belt water pump and thermostat only one fan comes on what is the problem

20

I have a 06 dodge charger. It's been running hot lately.before that I had to replace all 4 of the 02 censors. It Wouldn't come out of park unless pressing the small pink button on side of shifter. Didn't go pass 30 miles ...all the lights were on. Put it in the shop they replaced my computer,fuse box,water pump,shifter . Check engine light still won't go off....an it's still running hot.. can you guys help me out ??

Before spend money try replacing little boring that's go in heater core the oring is hidden close to the purge air .

Dodge calibers are horrible, my parents is the same way have to keep putting water, gasket cracked needs a hole new engine but I still run it just no AC and can only go 9 miles two ways the mist that's i, no wonder you don't see many of them, beside the loud radii and it goes really fast that's all that's about good on that model car!!!

Before you go replace your heads, try this. Replace your fan even if it is working. My 09 rt was overheating with ac on. When I opened the hood the coolant was boiling but the fan was running. After the car cooled down enough to reach my hand in there I spun the fan and I could see that it had a little bit of a wobble and also had some drag to it. The water pump and thermostat were just replaced about two and a half or three years ago. My husband replaced the fan but the car still kept overheating. Then he remembered something from when he was little. Anytime your car overheats to the point your coolant is boiling it can ruin your thermostat. So replace your water pump or fan or whatever you think is causing the problem first and then put in a new thermostat. Voila. I've been running it stop and go all over town with the air conditioner on for about an hour now and it has not overheated. It only took about 25 minutes before for it to overheat.

Hey guys I've 2008 Dodge Charger,I have changed the radiator and thermostats after my car ran hot, cause something clawed up under my car a broke my strout belt.So my mechanic only trying too run my car off my a.c. belt.Is that even possible cause my car want stay running...

20

Report these problems to Dodge customer service ASAP! Don't just call the shop, call the actual dodge/Chrysler customer service. I just learned yesterday by calling that they know of this problem, but not enough people have complained to them for a problem recall to be done. This is horrible. We are all having the same problems. See the article below. http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forum s/CSN_L08.pdf

50

I had a problem with my dodge intrepid over heating. Had it in the shop for two days and they finally figured it out. They called dodge dealer and dodge told them to check the two flow valves for the coolant. Sure enough that's what it was and never had a problem again with it.

50

Had new water pump put in and thermostat. Plus the extra two days of labor that they did not charge me. That's why it is very important to have them systems flushed at times. All because of them two flow valves were plugged and making it overheat. Just forgot to add that in.