how to put a later tilt steering column into a 72 c 10

Asked by Jul 30, 2013 at 03:45 PM about the 1972 Chevrolet C10

I bought a tilt wheel  for 25 bucks from a guy who said it was out of a van and it was suppost to fit my 72 c10............Not so..  the one i got has a sort of  D shape and my lower shaft is a round splined shaft which I believe to be about 3/4 of an inch or so.  Is there some sort of coupling available to attach these two halves and make it a whole?

Your right the shape is called "DD" and the lower shaft is probably a "3/4 inch - 30/36 or 48 spline" shaft. Count the number of splines by marking #1 with a bright color and count the total number of teeth. Go to www.Summit, under "Borgeson universal steering u-joints" they will have the one you need. Probably this one (but I can be wrong as I am a human) - BRG-014952, Steering Universal Joint, Steel, 3/4 in. DD, 1 in. DD $75.72. I would recommend spending more and getting the vibration dampener universal u-joint coupling as it will make the ride so much nicer. BRG-034934 - Steering Universal Joint, Steel, 3/4 in. DD, 3/4 in. DD $110.24 . Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance as I have built many street rods over the last 25 years.

thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm 67 years old and this is my first "toy" After kids coming along then off to camp then private schools then to college. All this after getting a late start at getting hitched. I said all this to say I'm a newbie at this stuff even though I've read car mags for years. Everything I've done I've done 3 or 4 times but I think I've got it OK now. It's not a show truck but It'll be a nice 15 footer I hope. I couldn't imagine how I was going to solve this problem, but thanks to you and Summit who I have become well acquainted with I hope to have it ready for "Somernights Cruise" here in Somerset Ky. It's only a month away but I feel I'm close to getting there. Well thanks again. PS love those 35, 36, and 37 fords. I passed up real nice 36 tudoor sedan for 14K. All because I didn't like the color. That little flat head was sooooo quiet and smooth I couldn't believe it. I've kicked my self a lot more than once for that blunder. Chebby Guy

Don't forget "Classic Industries" and Year One" for parts a well. 15 footer or 15 incher, its still a cool ride because its yours ! If your in Somerset, KY then get yourself over to the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville. The first weekend of every August the National Street Rod Association (NSRA) puts on the "Street Rod Nationals". You will find ideas and venders and catalogs, oh my ! Just stay off the yellow brick road of over spending.

I understand the "life cycle" you have been thru, as I have been there myself. I sold our '37 Ford Tudor 8 years ago to put vinyl siding, a new roof and new low-E windows in our house. Two years ago I sold my "dream car", the 1932 Ford 3 window coupe I had been building for years in order to buy our daughter a horse, because she has NEVER given us any problems in 18 years of life and she has a 3.6 grade point average in her third year of High School. They made more then one car, but we only have one "time" with our daughter.