Swapping axles on a Jeep

Asked by Feb 03, 2012 at 10:05 AM about the 1980 Jeep CJ7

I have a 1980 cj7. I am wanting to widen the wheel base of my jeep because it has a lift on
it and I need more stability. Is there an axle that requires little to no modification that will
replace the front and the rear axle.  It is not a rock crawler nor a mudder so I don't need
extra beef. A half ton axle will do.  Just need to find a simple solution.

1,195

Simplest solution is wider tires. Do you do much off-roading, how badly do you need the extra stability? Most any Dana axle can be swapped onto your Jeep, you are going to have to relocate spring perches and align before welding to ensure proper driveshaft alignment, and you should get a pair off the same donor vehicle, so you have same front and rear end gears. You'll most likely have to modify the driveshafts, and adapt brake lines. There is no "easy" solution to this, any swap is going to take some engineering and torch/welder work...

5

I HAVE 1986 JEEP CJ7 WITH A 6STERAIT 6 CAN ICHAGE THE BIGER AXEL . I WANT TO PUT A 83IN TIER WILL IT B ABLE TO SUPPERT TH E JEEP OR SPEED