A/c not cooling

10

Asked by Jul 31, 2016 at 08:10 PM about the 1980 Toyota Corona

I need help about DIY refill ac in an old car
I don't have money to take it to a mechanic
shop for some reason when guys see a
alone woman they charge too much and so
I have work on my cars for quite years not
very difficult things but I always try and
now I am not finding to much help for this
old model is a Toyota corona not Corolla
it's corona 1980 car runs great I have kept
the oils and fluids very good but my
gramma uses this car still and I do the jobs
for her but we have not too much money u
know so I also alwasy look for cheap good
parts and do it my own to help her now
this days are very hot she doesn't drive to
much but when she does she has not ac I
would like to fix her ac and I hope u guys
here can help me thank u

237,935

Nena, this is the time you need to get some professional help. Your car used R12 refrigerant, and the newer cars use R134a. They are not compatible. A conversion can be done, but will cost more than a refill. Call around for some quotes/estimates instead of going in person that way you can control the cost.

66,205

There is a drop in replacement called R12a. It's perfectly legal and available for use. BUT you're going to have to use a gauge set that has the old R12 adapters and find out where the original refrigerant leaked out from. Unfortunately on something this old it could have leaked from anywhere or in multiple places. HTH. - Jim

10

I thanked you guys for the answers now I mentioned I can't pay mechanic and I also mentioned other reasons why I started to do things on my own that until today over 7 years I don't take my cars to the shops anymore I find ways to do it my own .. Now I just want to refill it yes .. The summer is almost gone and my gramma come on you Guys must know how they are all I want is to please her and make her happy she is old and idk how long she will be around or even able to drive... So I am really wanting to do it on my own no taking it anywhere or pay to much for just refill it .. And yes u might be right must be bad licks not only in one place but this car is amazingly in super condition!! Has only 67500 miles!!! And so far all what I have touched has it running really good .. Well I will keep looking for info and hope I can be able to make it happen I just fixed my Buick Regal 96 on my own too same thing refill ac ... And so I think and I believe I can do it .. Thank you guys for answer me