i have a 1979 international scoutII need to disconnect my horn !! how?!?!

Asked by Jul 24, 2013 at 06:43 PM about the 1979 International Harvester Scout

when i use my blinker or make left turns it honks uncontrollably.. its actually kinda
funny..but annoying. i unhooked the button and wires in the steering wheel but its still
honks. i cant find my fuse box.. my dad showed me all this once but i wouldnt even know
which fuse to pull. if someone could tell me what to do it would be greatly appreciated.
THNKYHU! :)

1,365

wow, sounds like you have got yourself a short somewhere, I'm not sure about your state, but I know there are many states that do require a working horn, as for the fuse box and a diagram, you may want to see if you your dad can help you if that is possible

235

Unplug you horn at the horn, cover up the wire end. Chances are you have a bad clockspring in your column or a loose ground in you column. Not much to those systems, but it is an oldy(but a goody) and the wires do go bad. If I recall correctly, the horn receives it ground at the base of the steering column, so follow you wire through there and you will find a short, or a bad contact in your wheel area.

115

find the horn relay on the drivers side inner fender. almost opposite the brake master. It has an aluminium housing (silver colour) also has a 3 wire plug on the bottom side. Usually held in place with 2 screws. Easy to replace with a modern relay. Check for shorts in the wiring at the base of the steering column. As Jedidiah states check your horn contacts in the steering column, the horn spring in the center fails or the is missing in some cases. GM or jeep parts will work to replace the missing components