What is needed to change the front durm brakes on my 68 AMC Rebel to disc brakes?

Asked by Apr 09, 2013 at 02:30 PM about the 1968 AMC Rebel

is there another AMC car with front disc brakes that i can use to upgrade my car?

100,705

Wow - a Rebel, the 1957 Rambler Rebel was the first muscle car. Let me take a look to see when the later models offered the disc brakes. --- You'll probably have to make modifications to or replace the uprights between the A frames to pull it off. There might be some universal kits for it. --- One of my shipmates owned "The Machine" and another friend raced a "Gremlin". Rambler never got the respect that have should have. The Marlin comes to mind as one of the first fast backs.

100,705

The "Metropolitan" was ahead of it's time as a economy car. People would refer to the Ambassador as the Kenosha Cadillac since it was produced in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

my auntie worked at that Kenosha plant. the darned Gremlin had old fashioned drums tho~ (as I recall, was fifteen years old) and doors that would not close properly...it was remarked that though made from "reject blocks" from the other auto-makers was basically a jeep with fancy bodywork~ the doors and lack of a steering dampener made it a real treat to drive~

Metropolitans were actually British imports weren't they? smaller than a mini cooper.

100,705

I struck gold - complete written instructions with part numbers --- http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_disc_brake_interchange.htm

the Matador was a really nice looking car once you remove the ralph nader safety bumpers~

100,705

A guy that lived around the corner had a Nash - Rambler Metro. I used to see it in the driveway when walking to school in the morning... uphill both ways! I don't know where it was manufactured. I just knew that everyone had four door sedans and this guy had a small two door.

100,705

You're correct on that British import for the Metro. It was built in Longbridge, Birmingham, West Midlands, England by BMC for Nash and AMC.

100,705

AMC had the right idea with the fast back Matador but it was just too large and under powered. Mopar came along and changed the rear of the Valiant for instant success. The Torino became a TV star with a fast back and a white stripe.

funny the way policy shapes just how attractive a design is, for example the '72 Celica was a damned sexy looking creature, but '73 had the big rubber shoeboxes front and back making it look like a bumpercar....in the name of Nader's safety compendium~.....that guy, I tell ya~

The corvairs were steady enough if you were "one" with the fact the power is at the back, yes it can flip around, but if you are in control this should not happen. We still see them around, rear-engine water cooled design- neat lookin' but struck dead by "unsafe at any speed" a jolly late-night read-

deleted all images...still am on Henry's good side....can't push my luck.

100,705

I have ridden in Corvairs and even slid around in one. Two of my high school buddies had them. The problem is that people would continue to pump 30# of air in the front tires. 15# was called for and with 30#, the front wheels would go straight when the driver wanted to turn. That led to slamming on the brakes and sliding into whatever was in the way. It was too different and Americans weren't ready for that kind of change. It had too much power with it's V6. It had great traction in the snow like the VW's and the Porsche's. It wasn't cheap either. For the price or a little more, you could have a muscle car.