problems running

145

Asked by Feb 06, 2011 at 09:40 PM about the 1985 Buick Grand National

i just replaced my head gaskets on my 85 grand national and changed the plus and oil twice but when it starts up it idles rough and you have to keep giving it gas to keep running just seeing if anyone has any ideas thanks. and i have to change the water pump still cause it started to leak im guessing from when the head gasket blew thank you for any ideas

310

Steve, Check the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor voltage and see if it is out of parameter. It should be between .45 and .47 volts. If it is not, loosen the two screws that secure it and bump the sensor up or down to get it to this voltage. Do this with the switch on. To get the voltage reading, probe the middle wire with a mulimeter. There are three on the TPS. Go to TurboBuick.com and join up, tons of people who are happy to help. My screen name is Vicious6 there.