Ive been looking for a radio for my 1966 fairlane 500 sedan and am having no luck whatsoever. Ive checked ebay and have searched google for hours any sugestion on where i could find one or possibly find a radio that will fit%3F

Asked by Feb 27, 2013 at 01:10 PM about the 1966 Ford Fairlane

8,615

This is very easy. If you found an original radio, it would be AM only, unless you were very lucky. Am/Fm was quite rare. What I would do, especially if this is not a show car, is to contact Classic Auto Sound. They make modern head units that will fit right in, look stock, but have AM/FM plus USB and MP3 inputs. They also have optional CD changers to go with them. They install with no cutting at all, and include the right knobs.

Best Answer
20,825

you got to be looking for a stock 66 ford im sure, their out there 'try www retro sound,looks same beter performance

Ive called retro sound and classic auto sound and they both didnt have a radio that would work

8,615

You have GOT to be kidding. The dash cut out on the Fairlane is the same as on the Mustang, and the certainly do make units for that!

I just got off the phone with them and they said none of there radio would fit..do you think a 66 mustang radio would fit?

8,615

I'm sure that Ford did not have one radio for the Failane alone, and a different one for other models. The Mustang one should fit right in. Radios were, for the most part, fairly standard back then.

8,615

http://classicautosound.com/radios_corvette.php That page shows a radio that fits the 66 Comet, and if it fits the Comet, it should fit the Fairlane, since the dash was very similar.

8,615

While I was at it, I checked Google images, and as I suspected, the radio looks to be a standard Ford radio, nothing out of the ordinary. I would think that you would have no problem making one of the other car units fit. Certainly the one listed for the 66 Comet would, as I am certain they used the same radio, and the two cars are platform twins.

Ok thank you very much

6,685

I had a '67 Ford Ranchero with the same dash as the '66 Ford Fairlane. The reason why you can't find a radio for your '66 Ford Fairlane is because that radio was hidden behind the one piece instrument cluster clear plastic piece that covered the radio, gas gauge and speedometer. Unlike a Mustang or Comet that had a separate opening for the radio. If you have the stock am radio in your car already then you need to get a secret audio radio for your car.. Custom auto sound is the originator of the replacement radio for classic cars. For the reason I mentioned above they don't show a direct drop in for a '66 Fairlane but they do offer an under the seat stereo with remote control so you can keep your original am radio in the dash and have a kicking stereo under the seat and control it from the driver's seat. Your dash won't be cut up, will look stock and no one will know the difference. Here's the link to their site. http://www.customautosound.com/SecretAudio.htm now if you have an empty spot where your radio once was and need something to fill the hole, try one of the Arizona junkyards like desert valley autoparts at .http://www.dvap.com/search-for-parts They show several 66-67 Fairlanes and Rancheros in their yard and should have the factory radio in one of them, if not you can try a few other places like AutoKrafters at http://www.autokrafters.com , CTC Autoranch at . http://www.ctcautoranch.com/ or blueoval6079 at http://blueoval6079.com/6267fairlane.html. The 66 and '67 Fairlanes and the '67 Ranchero have the same dash so the radios will interchange. No other ford radio will fit the opening because of the clear plastic piece covering everything. Go with the secret audio under the seat setup from Custom AutoSound if you already have the stock am radio in the dash. Good Luck,. Kenny/MrBlueOval

575

AmishAdam, I HAVE a 66 Fairlane radio that is available if you are still looking for one. I'd like to reccomend that you join my car club "Fairlane Club Of America" Finding parts (ANY part) for your 66 Fairlane will be EASY if you surround yourself with others who own, drive and restore 66 Fairlanes. As a member you will have FULL access to the club website and be able to post your parts requests in the parts wanted forums. You will also be able to access the club archives for all the tech advice you will ever need. The radio you are looking for (regardless of what info you got on this site) is VERY specific to your 66 Fairlane and even the KNOBS used on it are specific to the trim level of your car. We have a club member who rebuilds factory original radios and adds ALL the features that the big name companys do for FAR LESS $$ than the other companies. He specialises in Fairlane Specific radios and knows them inside and out. If you'd like more info about buying an original 66 Fairlane radio, joining our club, or info on having your radio rebuilt (With FM, CD jacks, MP3, Ipod connections... etc) You can message me here on the Car Gurus site with your email address and I will be happy to help you along with anything you need Riff.

I am still looking for a radio, would you be interested in selling it? If yes is there a way you could help me find someone to convert it.....thank you

575

Yes, I'm willing to sell it. And I'm willing to put you in contact with the person who restores it. I sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE, Go to your CarGurus "My Account" page and check your inbox.

160

Try Hemmings Motor News. You can get one remade that does AM & FM. There are also FM convertors available that you can put in the Glove box if you wish to retain the look of the AM Radio for show purposes.

Actually, the radio in a 66 Mustang will NOT fit into a 66 Fairlane, nor will the radio for a 67 Fairlane.

if still looking i have one chris 253 572 0464

6,685

Try DVAP Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona. Ask for Jason. I'm sure they will have an original radio from a partscar.