will not turn over

10

Asked by Dec 05, 2010 at 11:51 AM about the 1970 Ford Maverick

i put new rod bearings in my car and they are torqued right, but the engine will not turn over but it would before i changed the rod bearings,

is the starter getting power,u sure you put the caps on the ones you took off in order or did you just lay them down and put them on,you have to put the cap on the same rod it came off of,also is bearings installed correct,did you have crank turned,sure you got right bearins,back off on nuts 1/4 turn,try to turn it over,did you put oil on them befor installation.

10

yes i did all of that it will turn over now but not when number six(the one in the rear) is tight it will not spin, but if its loose it will spin, what should i do

I dont think the tourk speck you got is right ,for the rod caps,loosten them and tourk to 16 to 18 ft lbs.also recheck # 6 bearings to see if placed in right.I have never tourked the rod caps over 18 ft lbs.

10

ive done that if the #6 cap is tight the motor will not spin but if i loosen it it will, i had a friend tell me that their is a tool u use to gap the caps or something like that, i know the torque specs given to me were right because i used a couple resources, i called and asked people at the local Napa store and then i looked in an all-data book

I would still tourk at 16 to 18 lbs,you have to concered the difference in the bearing clearence,if you did nothing to the crank,try changing # 6 bearings with # 1 see what happends,also if you do this look and see if they the same thickness & size.

10

thanks for your help on this, but im tired of messing with it nothing works, can you tell me how hard it would be to put a 400 in a 70 maverick, what type of mods would i have to do, and how much do you think it would cost

you would have to put heavy duty springs in front,have a tranny for it,driveshaft,rearend,we ,me and a friend put a 428,into a 70 mavrick years ago,is quite a bit of work,but worth it.biggest thing is getting the motor mounts mounted in right place,plus a 4 core raidator.

10

ok thanks

HAY,it would be a cool project.

10

i figure out wat was wrong with the rod bearing, the cap was nout lined up with the upper bearing, but now when i start the car it sound like a desel running what do u think it might be???

sence you just replaced the bearings & nothing else,like said before got to rember the difference in bearing clearence,u tourked to factory spec,now you need to readjust the valves to stop the valve chatter and use a 20 w 50 oil.