Why are the front tires on my 1970 Duster very close to the back of my fenders.

Asked by Apr 25, 2013 at 05:57 PM about the 1970 Plymouth Duster

My front tires are about three quarters of an inch from the backside of front fenders I
have roughly 2 to 2 1/2 inches on the front side, is there any chance I have the upper and
lower on opposite sides for Ball joints and control arm??

That doesn't sound right to me. I would expect the wheel to be closer to the center of the opening. Check out there images and see if your car is different. http://images.info.com/searchw?page=1&qkw=1970+Duster

Best Answer

There's a few pictures of front A arm positions on this search - http://images.info.com/searchw?page=1&qkw=1970+Duster+control+arm

Maybe it's supposed to have 14's not 15's if that's the case. And if they don't rub maybe it's correct. Compar to others even measure wheelbase center to center if you have that s peck.

Michael Tutty

The Duster uses the Valiant front fender. The trailing edge of the wheel well is almost vertical. The Dart models had a different opening, but the same control arms. The Valiant always did look like the wheels were 'back' in the wheel wells to a certain extent because of this. Also, the Valiant/Dart used a narrow 14 inch rim (5X14) and small tires, C or D/78-14 bias ply or bias belted tires. By today's standards, they look like temporary spares! Make sure you have the right diameter of tire in there, regardless of the actual size of rim you are using.