Timing Belt

Asked by Jan 26, 2010 at 06:39 PM about the 1985 Audi 5000

I am Trying to change out the timing belt on my 85 5000 S Audi Avant...  I am have in a hard time getting it to fire. Does any one have any tips on how to time a 2.2L non turbo  engine. I have a book, but even though when its all lined up with the 0 on the fly wheel, and crank, and the valve cover, it still won't fire. It has spark, and the cap is set right. Any pointers?

THanks Phil

2,575

Any engine needs three things to run spark,fuel and timing.Now i'll stick my neck out here and assume that it ran before?You want to check the simple stuff first,the line that comes up the side of the block is a crankcase vent if the hose is split or broken the car will have a hard time starting.I have seen cars not run because the oil cap was not put on correctly.In the fuse box off to the side there are two fuses that are for the fuel injection.folks make the mistake of thinking they are spare fuses ,they are not.check the ground on the intake manifold.and be absolutely sure that the marks for the timing are correct,that the cam is set correctly to the no 1 cyl. firing position.What did you disassemble to do the belt and did you use the factory tools for dissasembly,as the crank pulley bolt is extremely tightI am a factory trained Audi tech and started working on the car line in 1981So i am very familiar with that engine and the controls.good luck.