Need some help.

55

Asked by Jun 04, 2010 at 11:59 PM about the 1997 Acura TL

I have a 97 Acura 3.2 TL. and im looking to make some modifications to it. Its auto sadly. i know i want to give it some black rims
and tint. i would LOVE to add halo light but i dont think they make them in my year. I also want a more aggressive sound but i DO
NOT want it to sound like a ricer. budget is somewhat tight around $200-$300 every two weeks. any help and links would be
great thanks.

7,275

first upgrade should be a cold air intake then if you want sounds and performance. DO NOT JUST GO BUY A K&N KIT! i dont know these cars well so i cant give some advice on what to buy but i know in some previous cars ive owned K&N has actually LOST hp in certain applications or given less gains for a higher price. DO YOUR HOMEWORK...google search an acura tl performance forum and they should have answers. SECONDLY this is IMPORTANT...find out when heat soak becomes a vital player in your system. heat soak is the number 1 loss in peak power and engine efficiency on all cars coming out of the dealer. an $80 t-stat and $150 t-stat controller can give cars an added 2-3 hp and 2-3 mpg fuel efficiency. its cheap and effective. btw love your auto...this isnt a drag car or rally car. an auto lets you pick up your girl and hold her hand and treat her like a million dollars...she will LOVE that. BUT if you are unsatisfied with your auto there are shift kits. a fact few know is that A LOT of pro drag racers are switching to high performance autos to eliminate human error since technology is so advanced now days. keep that in mind. an exhaust system would be the next thing on my lsit to look into after everything else ive told you. expensive and not the best gains BUT you gain sound AND its needed to provide the best performance for the next upgrade i recommend and that is a tune. after all ive recommended is said and done look and shocks/struts and brakes and finally tires. you would be surprised how much a suspension can make a car feel faster. long response but just trying to be honest and impartial since i hate honda and acura.

7,275

and just to add since you dont want it to sound like a ricer (thank god i hate those stupid ass fart cans!!!!) any good quality full system or catback system you find will give good sound but not ricer sound. only way people get ricer sound is by putting on glasspacks or hallowed out fart cans because they thinks its "cool". that 3.2L should make a gorgeous exhaust note with a good exhaust system. just remember this 1 tip i live by when it comes to autos....do it ONCE and do it RIGHT! if you cant afford what you want and have to save for 2 months instead of 1 month WAIT AND SAVE! trust me you will thank yourself in the long run everytime.

55

thanks man will take all you said into consideration. yeah i do injoy holding my girls had when i drive and i would hate to have to ruin it just to change gears. my next ride will be stick tho.

35

What you want is a Quality cat back exhaust like borla, magnaflow, or greddy. These exhaust cost alot, and offer an increase in power.

55

cool ill look into one of those

I got a 1997 acura 3.2 tl can I change the muffler to one hoe muffled?