what options other than a rebuild or used 5 speed do i have as mine is blown

Asked by Apr 06, 2011 at 02:02 AM about the 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser

85 landcruiser wagon with the 4 cyl diesel has fried the tranny.  Rebuilds are huge cost, used a big risk.  all the used ones we have looked at have bearing bits in pan and fifth slipping out.  What else can i do?

35

unfortunately not much on the cheap, to put any other gearboxes in youll need conversion kits. the best bet is to pull it out yourself and dissasemble it, get a rebuild kit with bearings and gaskets preferably toyo (ebay 300-500 bucks) and take the gears in to get refaced and heat treated, youll save a fortune on rebuild costs. it wont be as cheap as a second hand one but then youll know you should get another 400 000 kms out of it. the 5 speed is a sturdy gearbox, mines done 396 000 and still drives like new the 5 speeds definitely a keeper!