1991 RS Camaro SHUT DOWN

Asked by Jul 21, 2010 at 05:34 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro

Hello everyone! well my problem is , I was driving on the highway the other morning about 65 and it back fired acouple times and then shut down, had to get a roll back on the job to bring it home, after checking theres no spark from the coil or plug wire! any ideas anyone, Thanks LC

35

i would start by checking plugs and wires then if that doesn't turn up anything then alternator..a back fire usually only happens if you have lack of spark or fuel leaking somewhere where it shouldn't then igniting...

10,295

Backfire would be the symptom of lost timing.. I would check the timing belt. Get voltage readings on the cam and crank sensors to make sure they are providing the accurate output (from what you said, this is my best guess at a problem area). Make sure the battery is fully charged.Other possibilities - Bad coil, bad ignition control module, blown fuse...

10,295

Even a lost ground or damaged power wire would cause it

Hello Michael, and thank you, I will check on these things and get back on here! again Thank you, LC

Hello Meagan, I will also check this out as well, thank you so much for your help, LC

125

well your module in the disturbitor which would mean you need a new distrubitor or your coil couldve took a crap

125

its a very big possibility that it could be your rotor in the distributer. they have reputations for blowing apart

345

Hey LC, Micheal is right, as a ASE mech. and operation manager for an auto parts store I have heard this question several times and because it happen while you were driving there are only 2 causes...first would be the battery but that you would have noticed because your headlights would have dimmed and second is timing...so what Micheal suggested would be your best route to follow, I would start with the cam sensor..it can be tested at most "good: auto parts stores...we test them at ours as well as the crank sensor....good luck

Hello everyone again, I wanted to stop in and thank you all very much, the camaro is back on the road! it was the coil, I'm very thankful that there are people still out there like you guys, and gals that are willing to help one another, again a big Thank you! Lloyd the matchboxman!