Flowmaster or MagnaFlow

35

Asked by Jan 08, 2009 at 05:18 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro

I want to get a new exhaust but im not sure which kind i want, because i want something thats deep and throaty and not have that "pingy" sound. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

1,135

lol well dont limit yourself to a flowmaster or magnaflow ... you can always go for something different... like a GM performance exhaust or something like that... Personally i like the Flowmasters on camaros but i like the Magnaflows form my mustang... and that pingy sound??? what do you mean ???? you should go on youtube and listen to a bunch of different systems ... also you should look into the possibility of dumps if they are legal in your state/province... where are you located??

35

I live in Florida so i could do whatever with it and yea your right i dont have to limit it at those 2 theres alot of other kinds like dynomax or gm performance. And what i mean by that pingy sound is like when someone has a exhaust and it sounds retarded when then hit the gas.

Magnaflow.. Can't beat it!

25

MAGNAFLOW!!! psshhh flowmaster ha

225

I have heard GM one is horrible

45

Go with flowmaster i got it on my 1987 camaro it sounds great with no cats with cherrybomb glasspacks

2,135

ok, so you have glass packs AND flowmaster mufflers??? take out the damn glass packs.. if you have no cats they arn't doing anything anyway... just put in an H or X pipe... will sound WAY better that having glasspacks AND mufflers

5

I have a 67 camaro with a 350 headers and 2 1/2 in flowmasters. it sounds great

145

Magnaflow

35

I've got flowmaster series 44 on my 1984 Z. Do a cat-back exhaust single in with double outs. Most muffler shops will make you put the cats on it if it had cats from the factory. If you want to go without cats but still be "street-legal", you could gut the cats and put them back on. If you put cut-outs, put them before the cats.

85

Magnaflow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi40rYz2lPU Flowmaster 80 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LcqhMr8y0o Help decide between the two, so you can hear them yourself. Personally on mine i like the flowmaster american thunder kit gives it a pretty mean growl.

35

its magnablow not mgnaflow

1,515

That is not necessarily true. I had a Flowmaster super-40 put on my 85 Monte Carlo. The car has a gutted (stock-appearing) cat. I loved the sound outside the car, but the interior resonance would give you a headache on the highway. I took it back to the shop that installed the exhaust. They put a glasspack in front of the flowmaster to reduce the interior noise level. It still has that deep, throaty sound on the outside but absolutely NO headache-producing interior noise So, even if it sounds strange to use both a flowmaster and a glasspack, it DOES work, and it sounds good (at least to me)

25

dude you blow!! and it should be blowmaster!!!

1,515

what was the point of that? Are you still in middle school or something? Muffler choice is no reason to insult someone!

25

no it wasnt and no im not in middle school im in high school and it wasnt over the muffler choice it was over the fact that he commented a pointless comment like the one u just did

1,515

Ooh, High School, i'm sorry. FYI, I have been working on cars longer than you have been alive. get your head out of your a$$, and learn to be quiet when you do not have anything constructive to say. If you actually want to learn something about cars, listen and learn, save the wiseguy comments for until you have been around long enough to have an educated opinion! Seth (ASE Certified Master Auto Technician)

25

big deal u can take ur certification and shove it man, if ur so old then why the heck do u argue with a high school student and you obviously would kno about heads bein up ur a$$ and i have been around cars long enough to have an educated opinion, sure im not a certified mechanic but i have worked in shops for around 6 years, that is plenty of time to get an education dumba$$

1,515

OK you win, I'm done arguing with you.

45

Flowmasters are alot louder but Magnaflow is made of stainless steel which is better when living by the ocean.

1,135

they are both stainless steel... and some magnaflows are coated... making them more resistant to corrosion...

7,615

listen to me on this...ive researched for a while. get yourself i believe random technologies shorty headers with the dual catalytic converters in the y-pipe. then go with whatever for the rest because they will all sound great. i went dynomax full exhaust and i thought it sounded deeper than anything else ive heard on an 80s. plus they make a great catalytic converter.

125

so does the magnaflow 15843 cat-back system have the dron sound on highway at constant rpm, ie speed