Car steering feels very loose on downhill bends over 50 mph speed, 'floating' like feeling when driving on wet at over 50 mph etc

Asked by Aug 14, 2015 at 07:00 PM about the 1998 Toyota Avensis

Hey-I'm new:)-Hope this is the right section. I'm UK based btw. Ok... My 1998 Toyota
avensis's steering feels really loose when turning bends, in particular, when turning left
over 50 mph on a downhill curve on the motorway(it's now started doing it when turning
right on a bend too).Downhill driving at high speed gives the car a floating like
sensation as if it's not gripping surface(tyres seem ok). Also,when pulling in to a lane
on left, and to a lesser extent right, on motorway at 50 mph and above, it feels like the
cars going to swing right into the next lane or the backend will turn.Esp in wet
weather.! In addition,when i go over an uneven surface on the motorway for example at
50 mph and above ,the steering is moving in my hand to an excess and the car jolts
too much from left to right  It's refusing to go over 60 mph too and starts to judder. I've
shown it to the mechanic he said it's nothing, just because the cars old.I'm not
convinced 'it's nothing'. I need the car for work, but this is starting to create anxiety
when i drive.I have to drive over that awful very windy high up in the hill, M62 to Leeds
at time & down to London alot too. I'm normally fairly confident at driving.  Any  
sensible ideas on what it might be? I was researching and from what i worked out it
could be the suspension? I don't know much about car mechanics, so any help world
be great. Thanks.

I don't know why, but, it seems that there are more Toyota vehicles with STEERING PROBLEMS. Even cars as late as 2009 have steering issues. Compared to Honda and Subaru, they're clearly not driver's cars.

Perhaps you're right.It's quite unnerving.

tetra111- you know, your car is coming up on 18 model years old. Many older cars lose some of their tolerances over the years and just wear out with less precision. I'd recommend that you take your car to your local mechanic and check out the wheel alignment and balancing as well. My Mom's 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid has a lot of play in the steering wheel, it's been like that since its been brand new! I had an old Honda Accord and the steering was so tight and precise in that car for the entire 19 years I owned it, so, that's my experience. The Toyota Avensis, I imagine is like the Avalon, and their full sized cars? I think these are designed for cruising and not slalom races (LOL), but, it's good to feel confident behind the wheel, so, I see your concerns. Good luck.

tetra111 - I noticed that you posted something about the wet weather and as I've been to London, I know what you're talking about. If you really want a car that's going to grip the road, try taking a test drive in the new Subaru Legacy. It's AWD like almost every Subaru.

Hey Thanks for the advice. I think I've posted on the wrong forum/site lol I was desperately looking for advice and just posted on a few car sites.i'm UK based and my car is definitely a performance car! I think this site is for performance cars and rallying :) Cheers for your replies