Transmission flush...

Asked by Feb 12, 2009 at 09:45 PM about the 1995 Ford Bronco XLT 4WD

Hi there,
I have a 95 bronco with 137,000 miles. Should I get a tranny flush or just change the filter and fluid? I have heard that getting a flush can screw up a tranny that is running ok. Any advice?
Thanks in advance

165

It depends on if the fluid is just dirty or if it is burnt. If it is dirty not burnt you should be ok with replacing the filter and fluid. But if it is burnt you might as well save the money and weight till it goes out. Then either rebuild it or replace the tranny. Its hard to determin if the ranny is about to go out without taking it apart and checking out the clutch packs and seeing if the friction meterial is damaged.

Thanks Adam, much appreciated. been looking at other forums and some people seem to have more problems after the flush is done. I will just replace the filter and fluid. Anything else I should replace when i have it apart? Also, is it hard to drian the torque convertor? I was reading that , that should be done as well. Thanks much

165

Theres not much you could replace by just lowering the pan. But you can see if there are shavings in the pan and the condition of the fluid. As far as the converter the only way to drain it completly is to pull the tranny and flip the converter on end and let it drin. Good luck

Thanks again adam. You've been very helpful.