What is the original spark plug replacement #?

Asked by Dec 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile LSS 4 Dr STD Sedan

I am looking for the original spark plug replacement number.  I was sold something else and my fuel mileage now
sucks!  Can't find my manual anywhere.  It is not the supercharged model.  I do remember they are iridium plugs
and more pricey, but definatly  worth the fuel savings.

34,945

AC delco, don't buy the garbage motor craft or champion or ngk. Buy quality GM parts for your GM. Did you also replace the air filter and fuel filter?

100,635

ACDELCO Part # 41993 - $4.70 each on RockAuto.com

I did the fuel and air filter, new wires too. that's when things changed. the plugs are AC Delco, but i have a feeling they are the wrong plug. gapped at 60 thou. I have a K&N filter recently cleaned, but today replaced to a regular paper filter, to see if there is a difference. I'll do a tire pressure check tomorrow a.m. As I live in a cold climate Southern Ontario. Temp changes rapidly here.

254,095

A plug gap wouldn;t have a dramatic decrease in MPG. How is it running since you did the tuneup? If it's running rough you might have crossed a spark plug wire. You also mentioned you put a K&N fliter in, if too much oil from the filter got on your MAF it could cause the issue your having. I would purchase some MAF cleaner and spray the electrodes down with it. Good Luck.

It runs just as it did before. Sounds and feels fine. Only my fuel mileage has changed. Not as good as before. It is a low mileage car just over 100,000 kilometres. No sign of oil residue in the breather area. What is a MAF sensor? I am female and know a limited amount on cars. I live near Windsor/Detroit border and have plugs on hold @ O'Reily's Auto parts next time I cross the border. Check engine light comes on & goes away occasionally and a smoke test would need to be done according to a mechanic. I can't remember the code # that came up.

I think it was PO 440

Already replaced the gas cap. It can never be the easy solution.

34,945

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0440 The code present is definitely what's causing the reduced gas mileage, the link will explain what's going on, and it has a video explaining how to diagnose where the leak is.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Already replaced the gas cap. It can never be the easy solution. I found a video on cleaning the MAF sensor. Looks like I can handle that too. Thank you! I'll try it. The video showed the person also used an oiled K&N filter. I'll pick up some MAF cleaner & give it a try. It'll have to wait for the weekend now. Busy work week with the holiday coming.

Thanks John. I'll get the mechanic to do the smoke test after all. I've been delaying this. He did replace the fuel tank sensor when it quit this year. I can understand my 15yr old car may have corrosion somewhere. Hopefully the smoke test will show an easy fix. I'll clean the MAF too. People couldn't believe the MPG i used to get on this size car or the condition I've kept it in. I can't wait to get that MPG back!