Help need help fast!! I have 95 mits 3000gt I jus replaced the valvs and put everything back together but it will not start now???

Asked by Feb 10, 2014 at 09:47 PM about the 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

17,715

Check timing. Did you replace the tensioner for the timing belt? These are hydraulic and bad about letting the belt slip.

Belts fine just wont start

And the H.T is good also. All I did was change valvs and now it won't start at all cranks good jus no start . Please I need help if you have any I need my car to be out of the shop

5,615

you sure you got the cams right places ? and that its timed correctly

Best Answer
5,615

also triple check that you have every thing connected

17,715

Check compression on all cyliders.

I checked like 20 times for all connection and ya I made sure the timing was perfect cuz that's what tucked it up in the first place. And I will have to check compression also need to check spark

5,615

besides the cams being in time did you make sure the crank was as well? did you check your crank/cam sensor, ptu coils and all that type of stuff?

5,615

are you getting fuel?

Yes getting fuel yes crank shaft is in time as well and and would my crank sensor make my car not start?... and how would u know were it needs to be unlisted to? And havnt checked coils will do

How would u know were it needs to be positioned to**

17,715

Did you lap the valves in? Check compression on all cylinders.

5,615

absolutely the crank sensor would prevent it from starting,, its what tells your ecu what position your crank is in to send spark and fuel at the right time

5,615

everyone needs to stop with the compression questions cause that's not gonna prevent it from sparking

17,715

I don't see anywhere that states it is not getting spark. If the valves weren't seated in properly it will have no compression.

5,615

I didn't mean to imply that what I mean is he needs to verify the basics spark and fuel first

Gunna check spark think it might be that ill try and get back thanks for the hello

Gunna check spark think it might be that ill try and get back thanks for the help

5,615

if you need links on how to check the coils ptu crank or cam sensors or anything like let me know I have them all

Well ya ill need em make my life a lot easier haha

5,615

ok ill drop them to ya in a minute ill just shoot a ton of them and then you tell me what else your needing

Ight dope thanks for the help!!

5,615

I ddint forget about you ill have those links to you tonight ok just got busy with other shit around the house

Haha its cool jus get em to me as soon as u can

But ya I don't think there is spark cuz the plugs are wet with gas....

5,615

ok sorry for the big wait but im dropping those links now,,, I had to go and find them all over because my bookmarks seemed to of got deleted or some shit but here they are in no particular order lol

5,615

nice you sound like your getting fuel then anyways im dropping the links now

5,615

this is a good starting point http://www.ehow.com/how_12129688_test-bad-tr-power-unit-transistor-3000gt.html http://www.stealth316.com/2-pwrtransunit.htm http://www.stealth316.com/2-ignitioncoils.htm http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=ECU_ECS_Climate_Control_Capacitor_repairs&redirect=no http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=CAS%2C_Crank_and_CAM_Angle_Sensors

5,615

and heres a cpl others for good measure http://www.3swiki.org/Category:How_To http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelinjection.htm

Alright thanks i appreciate the help alot ill check this stuff out and let yo u know more.

5,615

ok

5,615

let me know what you find out Tristantk

I jus took it all apart cuz I only had 90 psi on each one. I jus took it all apart again and made sure it was all correct but working on getting it back together now hopefully fixed! I will let you know how it goes

5,615

you only had 90psi per cylinder??

Ya duno why...

5,615

your absolutely sure you got it all timed correctly and that your have the crank on top dead center on compression and not exhaust stroke,, and you have the exhaust cams and intake cams mixed up? sorta sounds like you bent some valves

No bent valvs at all all 100% new that's why I replaced em the first time cuz I didn't time it correctly and I made sure the cams were correct as well I took it all apart and put new valve seals and hoping it fix It

5,615

that's strange,, other that your rings being bad or it not being totally top dead center I cant see how the PSI would be half of what theyre supposed to be. the valves might be new but I was thinking maybe you bent them when you cranked the engine over,,

Nope took everyone out to check and all fine

17,715

Are you sure it didn't bend the connecting rods to the pistons?

5,615

how the hell would that of happened Tuff4x4?

17,715

WHEN THE PISTONS HIT THE VALVES. THEY ARE ONLY CAST ALUMINUM.I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR DEGREE FROM GENIUS?!

5,615

the valves bent the rods ?? are you stupid dude lmfao !!!

5,615

dude Im sharing this with all my friends we all can always use a good laugh,,, thanks tuff4x4 your brilliant bro

5,615

btw youll punch a hole in the piston before the valve would bend a rod

5,615

this

5,615

versus this

5,615

and you think that the vlave is gonna win?? I don't think so bro lol

17,715

No valve problem, no timing problem, no head problem - Oh yeah no fuel or fire problem duh?? What's left? The pistons with holes or connecting rods. That side was up on compression. That's why no compression. The pistons not coming all the way up. Not severely. But you keep worrying about fire and fuel that will fix it. Dumb ass. And yes it will bend the connecting rods when it bends the valves But I guess you would have to be a good mechanic to have seen this unlike you.- A points maker with stupid guesses. Go back to your desk job!!

17,715

Your friends too

17,715

Steel valves against cast aluminum rod ?????????????????????? You and your friends are ignorant to mechanical issues or just stupid.

17,715

You've been talking for 10 days to him and now your stuck? Tell him what to fix. Run out of guesses? Better call Mitsubishi so you can look semi-smart. Get out your Chilton manual you bought at Advance. Hurry times a wastin'

5,615

no body was "guessing" and you been on this as long as I have and im no more or less guessing than you bro and you cannot bend rods from the valves,, a hole in the piston head will have absolutely no compression,, not to mention he said he too it apart so im guessing he would see the rods bent or the holes in the piston or whatever else your trying to say,, and when I was giving him the links on the spark was when he was trying to see if it had spark,, your so smart whats the problem? and by the way I get results and problems solved you don't even have points for nothing bro your the idiot here trying to say the valves bent all the rods cause you notice that he said he has 90PSI on all cylinders bro so they bent exactly the same ?

5,615

read this and learn something genius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_engine

5,615

I want you to find one example of a piston rod getting bent from the valves,, hurry up times a wasting,, don't bother cause its not gonna happen bro

5,615

I really think your confusing these engines with how a push rod engine works,, don't feel bad your not the first person that's tried to make me look stupid but got schooled lol I think that this video shows what your thinking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gDTIJMwXo

17,715

It will have compression if cracked BRO. He never had the pan off BRO. That tells me you don't know what your talking about. You can't see the rods without taking the oil pan off. No I haven't been on here since the 12th. Been looking at your guessing game. I don't need web sites.I have hands on experience unlike you. Open your eyes and close your mouth and you might learn something from some of us. Tell me, just what experience do you have working on anything? I can email you about 20 certificates I have. How about you? Wanna see who's got more?

5,615

didn't see he said that he did or didn't have the pan off bro lol I know how to check rods and bearings idiot lol

5,615

and you started on this before me anyways,,, so you been on it longer than I have and throwing out just as many guesses with a lot less relevance lol

17,715

Your experienced friend is a dumb ass like you. And yes I have rebuilt the heads, timing and engines on these. I have worked on most vehicles that are in the U.S.

17,715

Well your a legend in your own mind. Everyone stop on this site and bow to Daaaaniel!!

5,615

who said I don't have hands on experience,,, just cause I put links up that means I don't have hands on experience?? wow what cracker box did you get your certificate outta lol ,, I post the links so that they have something to look at sorry im not good at drawing lol and I should type it all out when I can just post a link on how to do it?? yeh guess im doing it the hard way or that way cause I don't know what im talking about lol

5,615

dude take a look at my garage and see half of the 3S cars ive owned lmao

17,715

Stop talking to me and fix the man's car. We're all waiting. Yeah I answered 1 question he asked 7 days ago until you came in with your bullshit about fire and fuel. OH stop about the compression waaaaaah

17,715

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I've probably owned over 100 cars and trucks.?

17,715

Putting ball joints in doesn't make you a mechanic - your a parts changer

17,715

Your right . your opinion doesn't matter- parts changer

5,615

umm try yet again.. you answered 4 other times before today pal,,, you fix it its an equal opportunity deal here,,, you got the skill you know all that you tell us whats up.. I cant do anything til he give me an update ,, bt you know so much tell us,,, oh wait you did all the valves bent all the rods exactly the same amount to yield the exact same compression numbers,, yeah that's magical in 2 ways lol,, and whats the cars in my garage have to do with it,,, has to do with the fact that I work on my cars and ive owned a lot of these cars,, thats what it has to do with,,

5,615

parts changer whats that supposed to mean ?? lol

5,615

that ball joint thing was just a short and simple example

5,615

you know off the top of your head every thing about these cars huh that's funny

17,715

I can tell every answer you give me or him comes from a website. Dude give it up.Go away, go home go to bed. Do something besides get on this website. You need a doctor or something. Maybe a job. Trainee mechanic =That's it. you need to be trained like a puppy!!

17,715

In this line of work you learn daily - always something different .no 2 jobs the same

17,715

Aparts changer is someone that a mechanic tells them what is wrong and how to do it and they try and **ck it up.

5,615

how the hell can you tell comes from a web site ??

5,615

what answers have I ever given you dude? you know everything why would you ever need an answer from me lol

17,715

Now the last 2 were yours. That's normal answers. See I knew you could do it.

5,615

lmfao I got one for ya,, mister all knowing off the top of his head...

5,615

ready ?

17,715

Well, when he tears it all apart including the oil pan to see the rods we will know won't we?

5,615

your gonna be timed so you cant go looking it up lol just let me know when your ready and then you have like 30 seconds to answer,, make sure you hit the refresh button right away so you can see the question right away lol

17,715

listening

5,615

like I said i didn't see that he did or didn't ,,, but he did say he took it all apart lol anyways let me know when your ready

5,615

ok why did you say that the rods were cast when they are forged ??

17,715

Prove it

5,615

lol cause theyre forged not cast and cast piston rods will still now bend to a valve,, a push rod yes not a piston rod

17,715

Show me a website!

5,615

that their forged ?? they are and i can prove it,, was gonna call you out on it way earlier but got lost in the BS bickering

K cool thanks for arguing your both better n more car smart then me so jus help me fix my car n stop this argument. Your both teaching me way more than I ever knew

17,715

Are you telling me you have never seen a piece of metal bend?

17,715

me too

17,715

Look lets cut the bullshit and try and fix his car

5,615

now mister I know all about these cars and rebuilt them should know that simple well known fact,, but like I said you DONT know as much as your ass is trying to say,, ive got a 3S expert but im sure you wouldn't take his word on it so I wont call him in on this but do some looking up on it and you will see that im right ,, he also says impossible that they will bend to a valve,, like I said these aren't no push rod engine and that's the only rod that a valve is bending,, the strength is like a 100:1 the rod being the stronger of the 2

5,615

well just refreshed and seen the request of the OP

17,715

Yes and what I am saying is I have seen the connecting rod bend. You can believe it or not buI have seen it

K cool u seen it he hast jus stop this bullshit its annoying

17,715

Hello Tristan - like our vicious argument? Well you see I did find out that they are forged but it is still a possibility.

17,715

Dude can you not stop?

Ya I highly doubt that's the prob

5,615

what are you talking about tuff?

5,615

so Tristantk where do we stand what have you done and what have you figured out since the last time you posted on the problem?

17,715

Does this sound better - OK maybe I didn't clarify. maybe the connecting rod may be bent if the cylinders were full of antifreeze and the valve contacted the piston

17,715

But if it has exactly 90lbs in all cylinders that would be really amazing

5,615

now your sayin something that makes sense bro, and one of the only ways that it could bend a rod is hydro locking,, but still not a valve doing it and also what I said about it not likely that all were bent exactly the same to produce thee same 90psi all this ive already said and none of it came from a website

All I did was check spark and compression and it has spark but what I realized is when I unplug battery for a wile then try to start mycar it will kinda srtart for like 1 sec then dies and will not start what so ever

17,715

Do you possibly think maybe the cylinders are washed down?

5,615

did you check the cas sensor and ptu and all that other stuff in the links I dropped ?

5,615

sorta sounding like an ECU thing to me,, but that compression thing needs to be figured out though

5,615

verify that the valves are closing all the way and I would do a leak down test on it while your at it

17,715

1 question too - Did you lap the valves into the head when you put them in?

17,715

What gets me is the 90lbs straight across. If he didn't seat the valves it could be this.

5,615

well with a deal like that he needs to do a leak down,, if they aren't seated they wouldn't hold compression

5,615

Compression should be 150 on a turbo and 180-200 Dohc non turbo

5,615

this is a DOHC non turbo engine correct Tristantk ?

17,715

If it were me I would take the heads off and have them magnafluxed at a machine shop for cracks up inside the valve seats that can't be seen and let them lap the valves in if he didn't.

17,715

guides not seats

5,615

I really think he has the cams mismatched,, intake where the exhaust goes and exhaust where the intake goes and possibly/maybe something with the valves

17,715

You could be right explaining the 90lbs across the board

I think the 90 psi is cuz the valvs seals weren't replaced but I fixed that and need to check the comprestion again and ya checked all the sensors you said

5,615

you pulled the ECU and looked for bad caps? do a leak down along with a compression test though

Whats leak down? And Ecu caps? N how to tell if its bad..

5,615

its where you see how long it takes to lose compression in the cylinder,, and the link on checking your ecu is in that bulk of links I dropped on ya,,, basically pull the ECU out and then open it up and then look for bulging capacitors and a fishy smell,,, these cars had shitty capacitors,,,

5,615

heres that link again http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=ECU_ECS_Climate_Control_Capacitor_repairs&redirect=no

5,615

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofSiTGeLXvc

5,615

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/

5,615

we need you to do that leak down test so that we know If you only have 90psi but cant hold it either,, that will tell us if your valves aren't seating, im really on the mismatched cams though I mean you really have a perfect 90psi on every cylinder ?? or maybe your compression tester is broken,, can you make sure that its working correctly,, maybe its only reading up to 90psi ???

No its working fine and like I said I havnt checked compression after I changed valvs seals and how do you tell if the cam is mixed?

5,615

theres letters stamped onto the hex section of the cam.

5,615

what makes you think its working fine ?

It new and only been used on like 2 cars. And how do I know what the letters are telling me?

5,615

I believe they have I's and E's on them

E in front I in back or what?...

Need ta know asap so I can go change em n see if my car starts

5,615

ok

5,615

this is what I found out Turbo Intake = J Exhaust = N Non Turbo Intake = J Exhaust = K

Okay now I need to know which is intake and witch in exh on the head

5,615

the inside/middle ones are the intake the out sides are the exhaust,, if that makes sense to ya

Ya I figured jus wanted to make sure. But one thing... my cams say f d on both them non say j or k......

5,615

hmmm are they the orginal cams ?

For all I know... I'm not the original owner so beats me but ima change em ntryn start it

5,615

http://www.ninjaperformance.com/camshaftidentification.php

5,615

sounds like you must have 1st gen cams

5,615

to clarify 2 have F and the other 2 have D stamped on them correct ?

5,615

tell me how many with what letters you have stamped on the cams,, and were talking about the hex sections of the cams right ?

5,615

http://www.3sx.com/faq/cams/index.asp

5,615

do you mean all 4 of them say F and D or 2 say D and 2 say F ?

I had the back ones set cuz they were obvious and ya both the front have D and F on them but it started right up runs kinda ruff though..

5,615

im confused on what your telling me on what cams have what letters or whatever

5,615

4 cams which ones have what letters

5,615

I wish you would stop answering in an ambiguous way lol the way your saying it makes me think that your saying that they have both a D and an F stamped on each one

I'm wundering now if the front cams being mixed up would bind the valves only in the front head though( the back head had the cams in correct.)

5,615

I doubt that your binding your valves up,, you would bend them first

5,615

not to mention hear it

5,615

can you please clear up the cam letters for me please it would help me help you quite a bit

And yes that is what I'm saying about the cams.

5,615

so 2 have both an F and D stamped on each one what do the other 2 have ?

5,615

just tell me this what does cam 1 2 3 and 4 each have on them

Idk I'm wundering if having the front 2cams mixed would bend the valvs ??

And also its making a tick sound... do I need to replace lifters?

5,615

you cant tell me what letters were on the cams ? individually though

5,615

also did you do a compression check on the engine again ?

And timing is 100% perfect made sure checked it like 4 times be for starting

5,615

ok what about the cams though lol

5,615

I cant help you if you don't tell me what I need to know lol

Ya it was at 160?

I have no idea what they said I have it all correct now though and It starts butruns rugh and ticks.

I figured out the cams they are in correctly

5,615

lol if you say so... not sure how you got it all correct if you don't know what the letters were stamped on the cams, but I suppose if you are getting 160 then it must be straight,, even if that's a little on the low side,,

5,615

too bad you couldn't get your hands on a data logger

5,615

is it misfiring or any check engine lights?

No check engine like and not misfiring but jus running rough and the the engine and car shake a little and it make a tick sound

5,615

I know you said you made sure it was perfectly in time but sounds like its outta time or the cas isn't on quite right

5,615

can you upload an audio clip of it running ?

I dont know how to do that

And its in time I made sure I new how to do that and I made sure it was correct. Do you think it could be the lifters under the cam?

5,615

im still waiting for tuff to kiss my ass and tell me I was right all along from the very first answer I gave,, wait and see if hes man enough to do that lol

5,615

just take your phone and record it running and then click on add photo and upload it

5,615

it might be but I don't see how if you got all the cams in the right places,, but I cant verify that unless you tell me what the letters are stamped into the cams are,, and not in the ambiguous way you were trying to tell me before lol

5,615

the ticking sounds like it could be pistons tapping the valves,, or its just the standard common lifter tick that these cars get, not low on oil are ya ? does it go away after it warms up? or possibly be the belt has slack in it and its making that noise,, other things could be the tensioner..

5,615

if you cant figure out how to upload the video on here you could always email it to me,, just try not to have a bunch of other sounds like the door ajar beep going off or whatever,, makes it too hard to pinpoint sounds

17,715

Well I am man enough to admit I was wrong but NO ONE IS GOING TO KISS YOUR ASS BUDDY.

5,615

lmao I don't want ya to admit you were wrong as much as I want you to admit I was right, right off on the first answer I gave in the beginning and take back what you said about the guessing and everything else you said about me not know what I was talking about,, ill let ya skip on the kissing my ass though that was just an extra lol ;)

101,735

Damn I been out of town for a week and come back to see two folks that I respect having it out. Lol. Tristan take a timing light and check all your plug wires for spark. I had some new plugs that after a similar issue as you have had were bad due to all the un burnt fuel getting on them. Timing light showed me which plugs were fouled out. One fouled out plug will cause both plugs on that coil not to fire. I replaced the fouled plugs and it smoothed right out.

17,715

Hello dandy

30

Hey I am having a similar issue. I replaced my timing belt and put in new adjustable cam gears and a light weight crank pulley. Timed it all good started fine ran it all ghost at night no problem. Then I went to start it up the next morning started rough usually does but when I let my foot off the gas it died and now won't start again. Maybe my ignition timing?

5,615

you should start your own thread Jacob

30

Didn't know how to at first but now I have my own.

5,615

yeh I seen that good job

5,615

so how ya coming along Tristantk??

10

I realize I am communicating with the dead here, but this is standard symptoms of his lifters deflating. It takes a while to pump them back up especially if you let air get in them. His car will run better and better until the lifters all equalize.