Is it worth the buy?

Asked by Oct 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM about the 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

Hi Im planning on buying a 1996 mitsubishi 3000gt from a private owner. He's
selling it for $500 which is amazing. But the only problem is that the timing
belt broke so it cant start. Do i have to replace the entire engine or is it a
simple fix? I would like to know before i buy it.

95,105

It won't be simple, worse case is the engine is destroyed, at best the head will have to be redone or replaced, the problem is you won't really know until you get the head off and see if it has broken pistons. HTH

65,475

Check and see if that engine is considered an interference engine which it almost certainly is. An interference engine means that the valves can contact the pistons when the belt breaks. Bent valves means a expensive re-build of the engine. There is a reason why the car is cheap!

111,145

Do a compression check. Any cylinders having 0 psi will have bent valves. Not that bad of a fix for someone that is handy with tools and an attention to details. but a shop will charge you a thousand or more to fix.

111,145

Where is this car located? I could always use another parts car.

145

Yeah bro 500$ sounds like a good deal from the person your buying it from! If the belt broke you may have bent valves broken pieces and maybe bad valve seats

If TB broke "at speed" best case, valves are bent. Worst case they went through the pistons and/or damaged the block! If the block is ok, fixable , but not cheap.

145

Funny. Situation I just faced on my 95. The tensioner pully some how backed off creating NO tension what so ever on my water pump system? And I had a occasional hesitation after driving 5 miles then went away THEN IT starts to over heat about four dots part the regular normal heating gauge. So I stopped driving it I didn't discover a this till I pulled off the front timing belt cover facing the front of the car It had some serious slop in the belt. So how can a hydrolic tensioner just stop creating tension making slack in the belt?