who has good customization tips for a new 97 3000gt SL owner? it already has a carbon fiber hood...

75

Asked by Mar 08, 2012 at 11:15 AM about the 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

just lookin for tips, on what to do to this thing( cant leave anything stock!) post pics of possible

155

I personally like white 3000gt's, lowered like 2 or 3 inches with black rims and a VR4 spoiler. But if you can, play Need for Speed Underground 2 and customize the car on there and use it as inspiration.

75

well it is white, and it has gunmetal grey rims, and its lowered 1 inch. but i dont like curved spoilers, so im leaning towards a split level spoiler.

65

I was gonna say VR4 spoiler too, but other then lowering it, i think 3000gts look great stock.

295

Or you could get rid of it and get a real VR-4 and waste your money on a car that wont pay you back. Vr-4's arent to hard to come across anymore. there are a lot of people that run single turbo set-ups on 3000gt's, or you could try and find a junk vr-4 swap over the motor, trans, rear-diff and have a great car with a lot of drop in parts.

35

Just got 3kGT and I'm working on it also. Here's some stuff you can do. -HID headlights -smoked tail lights - wheels -Tein S coil overs or lowering springs(if you want to lower it) Engine -K&N 57 series intake - Throttle Body Spacer -Pulleys - OBX headers - and so on, depending on how much your looking to spend Interior: -Indiglo gauges - DVD head unit. I wish mine was a vr4 to but the SL is still good and has potential Here's a good website to find parts for 3000gts http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_index.asp Best of luck man!

6,675

erik....throttle body spacers do nothing. they are a waste. K&N intakes typically are on the low side in comparison to other companied for performance gains as well. obx headers???? why not buy some more cheap knock off parts. you gave the worst parts list recommendation ive ever seen.

295

The 3.0 gets some gains from the spacers, but the 3000gt is a waste of time, even if you dump huge money into it its still a waste, go get a vr-4 or do the swap.

35

@chase I apologize for my first time 3000gt owner ignorance. Since you seem more knowledgeable about 3kgt perfromance mods, share them. Keep in mind this a SL not a Vr4.

6,675

obx simply reverse engineers other companies hard work. they dont do their own R&D. hence the low prices. i dont support copy cat companies. if you want to buy from somebody who rips off others then go for it. K&N might get you some gains but like i said its typically on the low side. throttle body spacers....do some research on them from nonbiased people. they dont give you anything worth while. my suggestion is joining a forum with some senior members who can guide you down the right path. i dont know all the best parts for a 3000gt but i know theres better parts out there than what were listed

85

I'm just buying a 1997 3000GT SL. I''ve done coilovers to cars an they're the best way to lower, perio!. I plan on scouting the turbo/supercharger availability. That's the cheapest way to put an extra 100 horsepower under a hood, forget all the cutesy other stuff, but I'm so new, I don't know whaf kits are available for this car.

75

turbo for the sl is a painful process. to do it right, u need a new manifold, headers, ECU, exhaust, all the piping, the intercooler, and to mention finding the space under the hood.

75

its just not worth the $$$ to do. if it was a vr-4 itd be a totally dif. story.

85

Anyone have experience with a particular coilover/shock combinations on a 3000GT SL? I love the stock suspension feel, except the car could use lowering. I am also a new owner, so I'm a little more enthused than experienced with it's stock qualities.

85

Looks like I'll go with K Sport coilovers since they include shocks, bumpstops, and adjustable caster plates. That's a good price, too! (Tutorial: I''ve used lowering springs on other cars, and if they're progressive rate springs they'll eventually sag, if they're standard rate springs they'll be a harsh ride.) One of the modern day good deals is coilover companies build the springs according to the car/front/rear requirements.

85

My philosophy is standard transmissions and convertibles only, so this 3K GT SL is an accomodation to the convertible. Soooo, I'm putting in the biggest mechanical sunroof I can find. Electrics don't open enough and slipping out the glass of a mech. one is so easy...sort of like a one piece T roof. Local shops only supply glass openings in the 14 - 16 inch range and charge $500 including installation. I found one through Sunroof doctor $220 includes shipping that is 18 3/4" X 30 1/8". It's a nice looking unit, the front edge is rounded and the corners are a small radius to get more area of light. I sure wouldn'yt put junk on such a beautiful car.e on cars. Everyone shudders when I mention that I'll be cutting it myself but these units, templates and sealing gaskets are foolproof. I'll post before and after photos.

85

The 3000GT is a real heavyweight, but I wish people would supply weight differences when talking about installing carbon fiber parts. Weight saving is the biggest advantage, but no sense spending big money on insignificant weight advantages.

85

I have a 1997 3000gt with stock rims and stock 245/45-17 tires. Is the stock rim width ok for 275/40-17? i know the circumference is ok.

85

Never mind on the tires, if I change I'll go with 18" rims and 245/40/18. I painted the rear calipers while scoping the suspension for future Megan coilovers. My eyeballs almost fell out, the stock rear 3/8 diameter, 9tsk, tsk0 is not just meager, this is all the way into the Schwinn bicycle category. Car builders do great stuff and then do brain farts with things like this. Ford actually buit Mustangs with no sway bar at all for 4 years. Incidently go with Summit racing for them. My cluster master cyl. went so I replaced it with new master and slave s. Car has 12K. Will do the timing belt, waterpump adjuster stuff next week.

85

Should have said brake master cylinder and 120 k miles for above post. I also added a 32" X 20" mechanical sun roof. The venting is great for parking lot heat and when removed there is literally no top.

Suspension parts are very important in any vehicles for their performance