coil replacement

Asked by Jan 18, 2011 at 08:57 AM about the 2001 Mercury Cougar V6 Hatchback FWD

I just had to replace a coil at 200,000 miles.  Should I replace the others proactively?  How many are there?  Also, my gas gauge and temperature gauge appear to work together, one or the other may work for a brief period but never both at the same time and usually neither.  My fixit place has tried unsuccessfully to fix the problem several times.  Suggestions?

get a new cluster from a junkyard. As far as the coil goes, it is just one coil pack for 6 plugs, and its mounted top center of the engine along the firewall.

Jeff, can you be a little more explanative about the "cluster"? Are the fuel gauge and temp gauge part of the same thing so you would expect them both to go at once? and how big a project is replacing them/it? I love my car and am hoping for another 100k miles. Awe there other things I should be replacing before they die so it won't strand me somewhere in the wilds of Maine? Thanks for your help.

The cluster is a 30-45 minute job. On the duratec 2.5 the only things you have to worry about are the water pump and the oil level. Replacing the water pump prior to it failing will save you a ton of heartache. As far sa the cluster goes, the way they are designed a damaged lead on the back Or a cold solder joint can effect a lot.

3,465

The only problem with getting a junkyard cluster is the legality involved. Verify local/federal protocols are followed with your cluster replacement due to mileage concerns. Also, supposing you have coil on plug ignition it wouldn't be very cost effective to replace all coils in one shot. Personally i would stick with OEM ignition components for i have personally come across issues with aftermarket items.