Brakes

Asked by Apr 08, 2017 at 10:56 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab RWD

Front left caliper not releasing fluid causing
it to stick. What do I need to do so system
will allow it to return

78,005

If you are sure the brake caliper is not frozen up, then it would be the hydraulic brake line, the rubber line running to the caliper would need to be replaced. That line will break down internally and cause the restriction of the flow of brake fluid.

Replaced line Problem is still there. Got dash lights working Have abs light on No codes present

78,005

The brake caliper sounds like it is frozen up. You say there is a ABS light on, this is an OBD1 computer and the error code would be 24, VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (VSS) CIRCUIT, so either there is a problem with one of the front wheel speed sensors or the wire is bad or broken. They make new connectors running to the wheel speed sensor. From the connector on up the wire can be bad from corrosion. A continuity test from the connector on up the wire would need to be done on each of the two wires on each side to track it down, unless you find a broken wire.

Sorry. I failed to mention I replaced the brake caliper. During the manual bleeding process is when I realized the caliper wasn't releasing. So yes I have a new caliper and line on drivers side. Still not releasing

78,005

Is it locking up the rotor? The pads ride on the rotor, they don't completely back away from the rotor when the brake pedal is released.

The rotor is locking up. Unable to turn by hand unless pressure is released from bleeder

78,005

And you replaced that brake hose running to the caliper?

yes

78,005

I've never run into this, having the caliper and the hydraulic brake hose replace at the same time, it should work fine. There is usually an obstruction in the line that prevents the fluid from flowing back. It can't be the caliper bolt pins or the slide area because you open the bleeder and the brakes release. I just went outside to look at my '95 Chevy Silverado, unless there is an obstruction in the line, or the caliper or bolt somehow is faulty, its pointing to the ABS control unit. For the front brakes a separate line comes off the ABS control unit for the right & left side brakes. What ever you do, do not get air into the ABS control unit, you will never get it bled out, but with only a computer program. OK, TRY THIS, press on the brakes, get that side locked up, and crack open the line for the front breaks at the master cylinder. See if it releases. It would be the line that runs to the larger fluid compartment on the master cylinder. I would think if the brake caliper releases, then it would be the master cylinder at fault. If it does not release, I would think there is a problem with the ABS unit.

78,005

Or it could be at the proportioning valve since that is after the ABS control unit.

It was a defective product. Got a different caliper and all is good. Thank you

78,005

Go figure hey? Glad you gotter.

Glad to have that minor problem. Didn't want to have to take it in. Still need to have ac checked. Time for the new bumpers and enjoy it for the summer Thanks again for all your help