More power from a F22 VTEC motor?

Chris Martorella
175

Asked by Jul 24, 2008 at 01:49 AM about the 1996 Honda Accord EX Coupe

I have a 96 accord and I wanted to replace the head gaskets. Then ideas started popping in my head of things I could do while I was in their. My friend keeps telling me to have the motor bored out, but they want big money. What I want to know is what I can do to increase timing and power? Can I shave or grind the valves or piston heads for a better compression ratio? Im not much of a tuning guy I mostly just bolt my stuff on.

Jeff Petack
915

Machining an engine is not something you can do by hand. You will more than likely not have an even mating surface and cause issues. Your VTEC is an interference motor too. If you start shaving down the heads, you could risk slamming your piston right into your valves. Boring on that small of an engine won't give you much more HP, and it will cost more than what it is worth. Your best best is just doing bolt-ons, like exhaust and intake. With a small four cylinder, you aren't going to get power out of it unless you go the route of forced induction.

Anish Thomas
65

hi jeff, my 98 accord has a F20B motor, 145 HP. what Can u suggest ?

Jeff Petack
915

Same thing as above. Small displacement motors either need high compression or forced induction to make big power gains. Getting high compression can be difficult because it usually requires altering the internal rotating assembly and the valve train.

Adam Morgan
7,055

Agreed... You may have the ability to swap out rods and pistons though with the head off. I haven't rebuilt any Honda's so I can't be for certain on this particular engine, but on many engines you can either bring piston rod assembly down through the oil pan, or if there isn't enough room you can sometimes take it up and out through the top with the head off... As I said I haven't had my hands on one of these so I don't know if you'll be able to get to the rod bolts... Anyone know off hand?

Jeff Petack
915

Just swapping out rods and pistons isn't going to give him more power. Going with lighter weight stuff will see some gains but a few HP isn't worth the amount of money he would have to spend. He would have to take the head off to remove the piston/rod assemblies, unless he wanted to drop the crankshaft.

Adam Morgan
7,055

He'd get increased horsepower if he increased compression though... ~140 hp with 8.8 stock pistons... 12.1 high comp pistons gives about a 9% gain couple that with a thinner head gasket and he'll end up with ~14-16 hp gain... Additionally high comp pistons tend to give higher torque at low rpm's which gives a noticeable boost of acceleration. Also hp gains from other bolt-ons will be more effective on a high compression engine.

Matt Jacot
35

your wasting your time taking the engine apart and then rebuilding something totally unreliable. Get an H22, it bolts right up and saves a lot of headaches. It would be a total sleeper.

Jeff Petack
915

He might have to change the valve train, because it is more than likely an interference motor. The amount of money he'd have to spend to get that gain for changing the internals just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Chris Martorella
175

Thanks Jeff, the thing here is I have a cold air intake and a cat delete pipe with a cutout. I was just thinking there might be something I could do while I was in their. On the other hand I really dont want to f' up the VTEC.

James Lykins
80

Man, if they don't even have the slightest clue on how to increase power on his motor, what makes you think he knows how to do a tear down build it up himself? haha Just tell em... www.honda-tech.com use the search feature, PLEASE

Ricky Defreitas
60

motor swap. b20 bottom end and b16 or b18 top end equals cheap(not really cheap but cheap). but time consuming to find parts.

Uzzi Tufail
25

I'll insert some insight being that I'm really familiar with honda engines. I've rebuilt multiple ones and I have an Integra with a built b18c1 allmotor (gsr) and a 2002 s2k that i'm building for turbo. If your just doing a headgasket change then stick to doing just that. There isn't much you can do there except change out pistons, rods as aforementioned. Besides those mods themselves won't give you any big power gains unless you buy supporting mods. turbo....... cams.... etc. you get the point. Raising the compression will help but to take full advantage of it it needs to be raised a fair amount. Tuning for that compression is also smart which requires buying a tunable ecu. Or just an air/fuel controller. If you don't, then your car will run a little richer as the stock ecu will try to change timing to adjust your fuel being detonated earlier because of the increased comp. I see that you have a 1997 accord. I'm pretty sure your mileage is high so the last thing you want is for your car to run more rich. What I would do before taking the head of to change the gasket, is do a compression and leakdown test to see where your motor stands vitally in its current state. Those tests should tell you where some imperfections lie so you could fix those. You will spend more money on mods and supporting mods to get extra horsepower that the end result won't outweigh the financial investment. Fix the little things that you catch down there and stick to normal boltons. A healthy engine is best. Also, clean out your vtec solenoid. Usually the screen gets clogged over time and oil pressure drops a little. Clean out the screen and you will have a smoother vtec crossover.

Nick Mac
35

H22a swap FTW -it fits perfectly in the engine bay -or if you wanna keep it stock look for cams & hondata reflash for sleeper power..

Chris Martorella
175

Thanks for the advice man. I really do appreciate it. The VTEC solenoid was replaced about 3 months ago. I was actually looking into the Apexi Neo with VTEC adjustment. I just want more acceleration, but lack the time and funds for forced induction or a motor swap.

bigblu479
10

is a f22 a vtec?

Atlas Ablas
0

My f22 was recently rebuilt, there is no check engine upon initial start but when i put it into drive and starts to roll the electrical would haywire on then off but the engine still runs. Wht do you think is the problem?

race04
10

I need more power out of my f22b can I put a vtec head on it

Tom Heitz
0

F22 is vtec

Tom Heitz
0

Get and ecu, turbo intake,

Tom Heitz
0

Exhaust, weight reduction. Get body kits for better air flow and aerodynamics

Tom Heitz
0

There are a lot more factors than just engine mod like tires brakes to stop all your new bhp, sway bars

kywillis
0

Look man Noone here has given a decent suggestion for your stock engine lol. Look at a decent intake manifold and distributor and carb and headers and radiator. Get a better fuel injection and injectors , performance plugs, wires. Get it lowered alittle get better suspension, coilovers new tires Haha maybe some rims if budget allows, get a programable ecu. Better exhaust, maybe turbo yada yada yada it has consequences to add all the big stuff cause it's more money and more things u gotta replace, stick to the basics and ull be fine.

CD5Madnesss
0

Going with the H22 route that people are always rushing to shout out along with turbos, its not as simple as just bolting it up. if he has a slush box, the aftermarket mounts he needs wont match up to the 5 speed h series transmission. which equals headache number 1. Secondly, he will need to buy new mounts anyway for the engine, as well as wire up a knock sensor for the vtec solenoid since the B2 doesnt have vtec. And a plethora of other "headaches". start giving out information with a plausible liability attitude. it may seem easy, but that usually means a migrane is coming soon. unless you have about 4-5 grand to just toss around stick with simple bolt ons, suspension, brakes and exterior looks. if you want to get it tuned you can, but with bolt ons its not really necessary.

Rivera Mobin
0

hey guys I have a question I have a two door 1999 Honda Accord VTec I was wondering if a 96 Honda Accord 4 door motor would fit

DAVERACIN
0

frist of all 1999 4cyr.accord ex have f23a engine 150 hp.152 pounds of torque,why install 1996 f22b1 engine with 145 hp.with2.2 engine ? the f23a engine have a larger crank bigger bore. if any thing build a g23 some folks call it a frankinstein motor use your short block with the h22a head a few parts from the h22a and call your friend e-gor tell him its alive,let go streetsweeping,be like a doctor saying next, DAVEHONDARACING@GMAIL.COM C/YA

ThermanD
10

I have a 1996 Honda accord non vtec with headers and cold air intake what else should I do to make if faster without turbo????

Benjamin Pouvi Fata
0

i see alot of misguided answers and people saying to do swaps blah blah blah if you dont know what your working with you wont have much direction as to where you want to go with your build other than going faster. 94-97 accords f22b1 and b2 head design intake manifold flow sux theyre granny panty status motors with head design for economy. now if you like to drive 150+mph on the highway as i do(i mob a 95 accord 4dr 5 speed with a f22b1) i might be able to help you first thing is first your stock suspension has to go it cannot keep up with the beating id recommend tokico blues with eibach pro kit drop springs-energy suspension front end kit-replace any busted ball joints front and rear at those speeds you feel every damaged suspension part as you drive. make sure your tires are up to par, just because they look cool doesnt make them performance... check the ratings unrestrict airflow as much as possible aftermarket cat delete/highflow cat /fart can/headers exhaust side should e good after that now for intake obviously your gonna go with a cold air intake(CAI) that really doesnt get much cold air not our fault its the design of the car to fix that you have to relocate the battery to the trunk rip/remove plastic splash/brush guard under the front of your car so cool air can get to your filter. filters can restrict flow i do not use k&n or spectre because being street legal for CA means they meet air flow restictions I use Weapon R dragon filter on street legal aem(smog usually doesnt check your filter for CARB exemptions just the intake pipe) next is your throttle body options the f22b1/2 is smaller than h22/23 throttle body i seen alot of forums out there saying theyre the same well they are not they size quite differently from each other to those who dont believe me can go pull the tb's off the cars and compare them for themselves(too many arguments over this one)next is intake manifold YOU HAVE OPTIONS!!! staying with the stock IM is not the answer,F23 or H23 google it for more info port match and polish that shit you can find youtube videos on port match polishing and the IM upgrades/swap. i had IM gasket sealing issues i tried autozone and oreillys they sucked i went with obx thermal shield gasket and it worked out great i also did thermal shield gasket for my TB. ok so now your airflow being unrestricted to the best of your ability youll notice around 110- 120 it seems like the motor is starving well thats because it is look into higher flow fuel injectors ours is 230cc or 240cc stock i went with injectors off an h22 from a prelude 345cc i run the oem ecu but since your nonvtec you have more options than i do like the ecu out of sohc prelude or the ecu/head /cam combo from f22a6 hope this was more helpful for you than the do a swap or go boosted everybody seems to know but the answer