What's your opinion..... is this Windstar safe?

290

Asked by Apr 25, 2012 at 06:48 PM about the 2001 Ford Windstar LX

Pics of subframe on "01 windstar that has had recall repair completed early 2011.  For more pics and my
story visit www.windstar-owner.blogspot.com

215

this pic is clipped so tight i can't tell what you're trying to show us. a bit wider,please!

290

I have many pics but I am only allowed to add 1 at a time. This pic is of the same part (possibly different side, I am not sure). My understanding is the non corroded part on the bottom is the repair called a cradle. It is also my understanding this cradle was bolted and epoxied to the original part.... the corroded part?!?! How does this corroded piece have enough integrity to support anything?

215

that is the repair cradle,same as my windstar has.(actually,there are 2,one on each side.) the corroded part is the end of the subframe and it drops down when the part fails. ford installs the cradle and replaces the subframe mounting bolt and rubber bushing and yes this cradle stabilizes the mount area enough to make the vehicle safe. so,to answer your question directly,the corroded area doesn't have enough integrity to support anything,the cradle and new mounting bolt does that now. drive,enjoy,and try not to worry about it. i have posted on several websites asking if anyone has had this repair to fail and have NOT gotten any yes answers. so it seems this repair is working very well in many,many windstars.

125

One of my older brothers had this repair done to his Windstar. He drove it another 100K+ miles before trading it in for a low mileage Windstar that was a couple years younger. I think he traded the first one at 230K miles, the second he drove further as the engine was stronger and lasted longer. As for the repair, he never had any issues with it. The dealership mechanic brought it to his attention with a repair suggestion. They repaired it, and it was good for the remaining time he owned the vehicle. All good in any case.