Do I have a bad transmition?

Asked by Sep 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM about the 1992 GMC Vandura G25

I have a 1992 GMC Vandura 2500 V6; a week ago was having some issues
with changing gears kind of slow, check transmission oil, was very low; I put
some and went all the way to "hot mark", drove it for 3 days just find,
yesterday it lost power suddenly and stop running, motor was on running but
van would not move or get in gear. turn it off for a minute; it did go for alike a
mile and then stop going again. I try it today and did same thing, any ideas
some one. Is my work van.

18,075

In a standard electronic automatic transmission, the shifts should be precise, noticeable and not mushy with no engine noise usually associated with engine reving, frequently known as neutralizing. Your vehicle is a 1992 and you should feel when it shifts. I imagine that it worked fine before and you've had this for a while, if it's your regular work van. The fact that you let your transmission fluid run low is definitely not good. Does sound like transmission failure and I presume you have a lot of miles on it. Unless you're particularly skilled at this repair, most people don't work on their own transmissions, you're going to have to get this repaired professionally, and will be thousands of dollars. It's less than purchasing a new vehicle and you'd have to fix it if you want to sell anyway. So, good luck.

Best Answer

Thank you very much for your help, I guess is time to look for another vehicle.

I have worked in the transmission field for a number of years. Seeing how you are saying that if it sits for awhile then will go again for a few miles. I would suggest dropping the transmission oil pan and changing the valve body filter that is attached to the valve body of the transmission. Also check for clutch material and alot of metal shavings. Most of the time the filter is made of like a hard sponge type of compound and once it blocks up it will give you this type of problem. Change the filter with eather a nylon or brass type filter both the nylon or brass are reusable types of filters. Put in the new filter clean the inside of the transmission pan put the pan back up with a new cork pan gasket refill with fluid about 4 qt's the with you foot on the break start the vehicle run it back and forth through drive and reverse a few times recheck the fluid add if needed. Make sure the level is between cold and hot. Then take it for a ride come back recheck fluid level and if needed.