Jeep renegade trailhawk or Subaru XV Crosstrek limited?

Asked by Jun 05, 2015 at 01:23 PM about the 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4WD

I get a new car for graduation, but I
know nothing about cars. I just don't
know which one is better and would
appreciate the help :) also, I'll be
living in an area with heavy snow, so
is four wheel drive or all wheel drive
more beneficial? Thanks!

20,395

Get a Subaru Outback, Jeep is not the same quality and you'll find the Subaru is extremely capable in snow. Also, has much better ride. You want comfort too? Subaru has been making and perfecting AWD in their vehicles since 1972.

Ive recently been looking into the same cars you have. My dad wants me to go with the Subaru, but Ive always been a Jeep fan. I decided to test drive both. Subarus are the most owned car in America and have impeccable ratings. The Crosstrek drives excellent and has some very nice features. It seems like a very reliable and safe choice, especially for a graduation gift. Your relatives will be glad you chose it. Though it's reliable and safe I picture it being a "just starting a family, but not ready to get a van" vehicle. Jeep, on the other hand are more well-known for their off-road capabilities and transmission issues. Though Jeep seems to be confident they eradicated this issue with their 9-Speed automatic transmission available in all Renegades. This takes some time to get used to, but they include a feature that the car "learns" your driving habits and will get very good fuel economy for a 4x4. I enjoyed the option to adjust the 4x4 from Sand, Mud/Snow, and Rock for best performance. The Renegade is definitely appealing more towards Millennials as they are moving out of College and into the working world. In regards to reliability, statistics have shown that cars in general are becoming more and more reliable and lasting much longer than the 100k mile range most warranties offer. I would focus on your future needs in this decision. Think 5 years into the future and decide what features your car will need to best support your lifestyle. Hope this helps

20,395

Brad, the question you shouldn't be asking is, do you want to look good or feel good? I can't answer that for you, but, I definitely feel better in my Subaru. Look at the ratings of vehicles and you'll see that Subaru is 5th on the list of the best cars on the market today. Jeep is at or near the bottom of the list. Why on earth would you want to do that? Image? See this, http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports- best-and-worst-car-brands-in-2015-include-lexus-mazda-and-toyota- 1.10387053

20,395

Hey, listen to your Dad. I'm probably a lot older than he is, and I'm telling you, he's right when he says Subaru. Those of us who've been around a long time and had many cars and experience with repairs knows how expensive and frustrating it can be. Look, not only is Subaru a great vehicle, they have great resale value, and you know why? Easy, they're very desirable! Google the Subaru high mileage club and you'll find people who have gone 200,000 to 300,000 miles in their cars. Good luck.