2002 Windstar Starting issues DEAD start with key until I do crossover on starter.

Elizium Forthelost

Asked by Sep 22, 2014 at 06:56 PM about the 2002 Ford Windstar SE

The van was running fine until few months ago. After starting, it was a rough idle and after pressing the gas a bit, it seemed to run smooth. Went about a block and then it went dead. The lights and cluster are all on, but nothing when trying to start it. Does not crank over at all. Just dead, yet the lights and all other lights work. Checked battery and it is fine. There is no flashing THEFT light going off. So, we took it in and they did a diagnostic and they said it probably is the PCM or ECM, but not sure. So after sitting there in their lot for 3 months we finally towed it home. I removed the PCM and it seemed to look fine. No water damage or any pins or rust damage. I then proceeded with several other things like shifting between park and neutral and so forth; checking fuses inside and in the engine area. They all seemed fine. So I then tried to cross the starter to make sure the starter was ok. First I put the key into the on position and went under the car and did the cross over and it did turn over like it should, but did not start up and run. I went back inside and the key would actually turn it over for a little while. After a few attempts it would start making that clicky sound and then it would go back to not turning it over at all. Then it was a no start with the key again. I repeated the steps again and was able to do it again with the key until it would just be clicky and not turn it over again after I jumped back inside after doing a crossover. Hmmm, does this sound like a PCM or a PATS key issue? or a bad ignition or ??? Please help.

I am having the same issues...Let me know how you fix yours..i need the cheapest way possible. so far im lookin at about 330 for the computer and 100 for the shop to flash it to the vin number...and they wont even guaruntee that itll work...i want to junk it for 500 but i really need a vehicle and i put so much into this one already trying to get it too run right. i did everything i could under the hood to get it too run better....and it did for a little bit..then it started doing all the same things over again...until one day it just wouldnt start anymore. AGGGHHHH FORD PLEASE HELP!!!! Im about over it