Is there a special tool for removinjg the four nuts inside the firewall that hold the brake booster in place?

Paul McCalib

Asked by Aug 05, 2014 at 05:57 PM about the 1983 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 4WD

Need to remove brake booster for repair. There are four nuts holding the booster to the firewall. These nuts are tappered top to bottom. Makes it difficult to get a wrench or socket to fit without screwing up the nut. I have spent many hours, with the seat removed working on these nuts. Got three of four off but that fourth one is very, very hard to get any tool on it. Asked several parts stores in my area but no one has an answer.

Paul McCalib

I actually solved my own problem. The tapered nuts on the inside of the firewall for the brake booster are difficult to remove. My solution was to add another nut to the bolt like when you are getting a stuck bolt in a block to come out. By having two nuts together, that made it possible to put a socket over both then it was easy to remove. Yes, having all that wiring under the dash does make for minor problems. Having to do this several times just made it easier for the next time. Be sure to remove the seat first as that will make more room available.