Right and left rear windows will not roll up

Asked by May 26, 2015 at 12:46 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet Suburban R10

I have a 1989 chevrolet suburban. I just replaced the window motors on the rear
passenger doors, and before I completed reassembly I tested each side. Neither motor
rolled back up. I traded out switches from the front right, left rear, and right rear doors
and the same result. I don't know what to do next to fix this problem. 2 out of 3 of the
switches are fairly new so I seriously doubt they are faulty. Are they all ran through the
driver door window switch? If it were faulty would that cause the rest of them to do the
same? This vehicle is pretty old, the wiring and plugs are different from a more modern
car which I'm more familiar with so I'm not sure how to proceed. Thank you all for your
thoughts and advice.

39,975

Run a jumper from your battery directly to the motor. If it doesn't roll up, your motors are bad. Did you pull them from a salvage yard?

No I bought them brand new. I will try that though.

I will try that in the next day or so and let you know the results.

39,975

Sounds good.

Okay I ran the jumper, and it works fine. Both directions. Now I have no idea what is causing the issue. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. And thank you reelin68 for the advice. I'm a pretty handy "shade tree" Unfortunately electrical is my weakness. I appreciate everyone for the help.

39,975

You will have to find the wire harness in the door. There should be a constant hot wire for power. You may need to open up the front door panel to figure out which wire it should be if you can't find a constant hot. There's got to be a break in the harness someplace. Get a needle test light. Much easier to just poke for power. You could find a constant hot and run a cheater wire from the front as well if you can't figure it out without getting an entire wiring diagram.