voltage on ground

Asked by Jan 23, 2016 at 07:27 PM about the 1989 GMC Suburban R1500

I am getting voltage from the block to the firewall
is this correct

10,395

No. How much. Any major short you should have arcing.

Best Answer

A little over 9 volts from the terminal on the firewall I got the truck with the engine removed and I rebuilt it and installed it. It has spark and it will turn over but I noticed I didn't put the ground on from the block to the passenger side of the firewall when I went to connect it it started arching

And the fuel pump is not coming on now

Any ideas

10,395

Well disconnect the positive cable from the batt before something gets damaged. Do you have a multimeter or voltmeter. Inspect the main battery cable to the starter first look for shorts then the main power(s) from the starter to the harness. Anything get pinched/crushed. If it looks good start using the continuity setting on the MM and try to get a ohm reading between the engine block and firewall. If you have a reading and it is not open start disconnecting wires along the positive path until it drops out then inspect that area. Test the starter the positive lead should be open to the block and chassis. Let me know if you find anything.