Would you purchase an orphaned car?

27,815

Asked by Aug 06, 2015 at 09:39 PM about the 2014 Subaru Tribeca 3.6R Limited

Cars get discontinued for all kinds of reasons,  but would you purchase one just to save
money?    Some models are just not that great,  while others are problem cars or just don't
sell well.   And, the resale value of these cars once they're no longer around plumets and
worse parts are harder to find.   Has this happened to you?

116,185

It would depend on how long the make or model was in existence, and it would have to be Amercian, at least that way aftermarket parts will be around for some time.

79,185

I bought my '08 Mercury Grand Marquis in 2012 and I love it. Car manufacturers are required, under Federal Law, to make parts for their cars for 10 model years. In my case that'd be Ford Motor Company. After that parts will be available for many years in the future in the aftermarket. I work for NAPA and, for example, we can get parts for Packards, Hudsons, and Studebakers without blinking an eye. If you like the car and it checks out, buy it. You might wind up with an instant collector's item. HTH. -Jim

27,815

You mean like this, read this article below, this 1996 Lincoln Mark 8 and the unavailability of parts has technically "bricked " this car. It's beyond 10 years so they can do this, while you can still get parts for many foreign cars. It's a disgrace if this article is true. Lincoln / Mercury is losing customers over issues like this and no wonder they're number 16 on the list of best cars with cultural business attitudes like this. When businesses alienate their clients and treat their cars as disposal items beyond ten years, who would blame people for voting with their dollars on better built Asian or German vehicles. You can still get parts for a 1971 VW. And, by the way, you can find Subaru parts back to at least 1980. http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/17/are-electronics-making- cars-obsolete-faster/

27,815

I kept my 1995 Honda Accord for 19 years and never had a problem getting replacement parts.

79,185

That Lincoln "black box" is (Cardone) part number 786326, or 786323, or 786320. Depends on what the service number is on the original unit was. Took me a whole 3 minutes to find it on rockauto.com. HTH. -Jim

27,815

So, it's not true. ?

27,815

I seem to recall people talking about this years ago and someone even ignited their Lincolns in front of their plant and burned the car in flames to make a point. And, why these urban legends get started?

28,445

3 cars came immediately to mind when I read this question: Toyota MR2, Toyota Supra and Mazda RX-7 (all three are no longer made). I loved my '93 MR2 and I would buy another one in good condition and not modded/riced out/raced to death. I'm mad at Toyota now....except the Scion FR-S, ALL of their cars are boring as hell! Bring back the Mister 2, dammit! LOL!

28,445

AND the Supra!! (Without the super jumbo sized rear wing though!)

27,815

Here's a reference to the Lincoln burning, see picture. B

28,445

Looks like one of your beloved Subarus might become an orphan soon, Mark. The BR-Z, as nice a car as it is, isn't selling too well from what I've heard. I might have to snatch up one if the price is right!!

27,815

Racer_X - the Subaru BRZ and the Toyota FRS are basically the same car. And, both of them are rear wheel drive. Yes, sales are not robust. See this, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147323-subaru- brz-might-be-discontinued/

79,185

Either the article is not true or the author didn't look for the part in the aftermarket. HTH. - Jim

28,445

Sports cars/coupes are my favorite type of car (hence my name on here)...so yeah, I know that the Subie and Scion are the same car (aside from the badging and some Subie options, like the Series Blue). In a world of boring ass cars like the Camry and Accord, both the BRZ and FRS are a welcome change! I'd really like to see them hang around awhile and get a bit more HP to appeal to enthusiasts like me (although I DO get the concept of a low weight, tossable car not needing an overabundance of power). Too bad I couldn't find one in 2012, when I bought a 167 HP Mazda MX-5....now with my current car being 330 HP (Infiniti G37), I can't justify going down to a 200 HP one..I'm thinking about a 435 HP Mustang GT or used Vette instead...lol

And note the next line. Drove his Lincoln on to the lawn of GM and burned it? How terribly inconsiderate of GM to not do something with his FORD/LINCOLN

And Racer X sorry if most of us don't have a fat bank account to consider a Camry boring....and can even entertain the thought of a Mustang or 'vette. My Corolla must be really *yawn* But it gets me where I want to go, in comfort, every time at 40mpg and has never failed me.

27,815

Hey guys, my Subaru Outback Limited station wagon is probably the most boring car even than either of your car choices above? Look, be happy with whatever car you chose and if it works for you great! No need to compare as all of these have separate functions from going fast to fuel mileage or being utilitarian.

79,185

As time goes on vehicles continue to get more technology built into them. My neighbor's '12 Cadillac has just over 40 computers in it. Why in the world do we need 40 computers in a vehicle? Back in '93 when I bought my Chevy Caprice it had 3 computers in it. ECM, ABS, and SRS. To me that was super high tech! Now 20+ years later GM will tell you that these computers are "obsolete and no longer available." True, from a GM dealer. But they can be easily had in the aftermarket. Before OBD I or OBD II Cadillac was using very primitive, by today's standards, computers in their cars equipped with the optional fuel injection. In fact the ECU as it was called was cutting edge technology! A few years ago we had a guy come into the store with a '78 Seville and needed a rebuilt ECU. Long story short we sent his old one out to be rebuilt. He continues to drive the car today. Cadillac has offered ABS (Skid Master Braking) and airbags (A.C.R.S. Air Cushion Restraint System) since 1973. Certain parts for these systems, 40+ years later simply can't be found anywhere. But there are people who buy dealer's obsolete inventories and sell the parts. The internet is a wonderful tool for finding these parts, if they're out there. Another problem is superseded part numbers. Complete tune up parts, including ignition points (which haven't been used on a GM car since 1974) can be had at your local GM dealer's parts counter for cars going back to the '60s. But YOU have to give THEM the current part numbers. Then you get to watch the 18 year old parts guy shake his head and say "wow, that's amazing". I could go on and on about this but the bottom line is the parts are out there. It's just the older the vehicle, the harder you have to look. HTH. -Jim

28,445

Sorry FordNut....I was answering a sportscar/coupe related question about the same time as this one and should have switched gears (no pun intended) on this question. The Camry & Corolla are both well built and reliable cars (not my cup of tea, but excellent choices for those who want a solid car to take them from Point A to Point B and back again!). As Robert Palmer sung in one of his songs: It takes every kind of people to make the world go 'round! If we were ALL hard core driving enthusiasts, the interstates would become Autobahns...not a good thing :)