column shifter stuck/locked in park position!!

Asked by Apr 21, 2017 at 02:41 PM about the 2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

column shifter stuck/locked in park position.  Few hours later it opened up and  
I've got it in Neutral. Leaving it there so I can Drive and go into Reverse.
I've read previous comments re possible inop brake interlock switch or brake
safety switch.  Any further updates??

10

SOUNDS LIKE THE BRAKE INTERLOCK SWITCH IS BECOMING DEFECTIVE. CAN GET ONE AT ANY AUTO PARTS AND IS LOCATED BEHIND THE BRAKE PEDAL

Thanks to you both. Your help is very much appreciated. FYI I did check and all 3 brake lights were still functioning. I also could hear rattling sound like something loose inside steering wheel. In addition parking brake works but weak and pushes all the way to floor. Lastly the horn is inoperative. Someone else mentioned the possibility of a blown fuse??

Thanks for responding!! Then I need to replace the brake interlock itself? Do you think the weak parking brake is related?? I will start working on it tomorrow morning.

Ok great, thnx ATM!! I'll let you know the outcome!!

Hello ATM, So the battery was originally in the CV was dead and had to be jump started. Battery was checked and had to be replaced. When the new battery was installed, the problem with the shifter went away?? Could low voltage cause problems with the brake interlock solenoid by not getting enough power cause the shifter to lock in park? Car drives fine now!! Thanks!!

5,555

Absolutely...Erratic and/or low voltage is not a candidate on late model ecm car (85 up)... Gladdo to Helpo, and Thanks, ATM

Ok thnx again ATM!! Maybe that's why stuck shifter was intermittent with weak/inoperative battery.

Hello ATM, So after installing new battery, shifter worked fine and was parked. Today it locked back up not allowing to release out of Park. Brake lamps all work fine. Maybe check wiring harness?

Computer codes traced problem back to bad LCM, Lighting control module. R&R same and shifter works great. Thanks all for your help.