Some guys in our shop believe it's necessary to slather a lot of grease (Caliper Lubricant) on the back of new brake pads.

26,075

Asked by Jun 27, 2013 at 04:44 AM about the 2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Personally, I think it is bad practice to introduce any more lubricant than is needed at sliding or contact points and on the caliper
pins themselves. These guys are coating the entire back of all 4 pads. I say that they're wasting a real good hi-temp lubricant and
taking a chance on fouling the new pads.  Any thoughts?

261,765

Contact points and pins, lub is fine. But I don't coat the back of the pads with grease/lubricant. But on some vehicles and caliper configurations, I put some anti-seize on the back of the pads to keep the pads from slopping around and keep noises to a min.

Best Answer Mark helpful
23,705

What's with the slathering? A chance of getting grease on the rotors will cause problems- disc brakes are simple- flat rate it, slap 'em on and move on to the next money-makin' project

Best Answer Mark helpful
104,285

WHAT? Never put grease on Brake Pad backs, they are setting your shop up for a serious liability lawsuit, if that lube gets on the rotors and a crash results then bye bye shop. not mention the problems it can cause with caliper piston boots deterioration. The only product that I have used on the backing of a pad is called "Brake Quiet" and use it sparingly.

Best Answer Mark helpful

the slides should be lubricated with molybdenum disulphide grease...NOT the pads~

26,075

Thanks fellas! I shared your opinions and my own with my fleet manager. He was more concerned about the cost of the grease than he was the safety factor of fouling rotors and pads. Anyway, I know that the Deputies won't be running around dripping High-temp grease from their wheels any more. Thanks again!

one guy put the vibrationing damper goo that belongs on the back on the front, then wondered why his brakes didn't work....my fellow junior mechanic...they fired that guy~

26,075

DOH! :)~

You were able to remove the grease with a solvent...hold your breath and still manage to "get high" from the fumes....gasoline could be used, but is dangerous...paint thinner isn't the hearty volatile spirits that it used to be...carb cleaner will get expensive (take it out of his check)...actually using a shop rag can get rid of MOST of it...carb cleaner of brake cleaner will manage the rest...I bet~

26,075

Well, it's a County facility and it's on Deputy Sheriff's cars. The boss isn't interested in researching which ones were done like that as much as he doesn't want someone wasting the High Temp lube. Come to find out, these guys have been doing it for years! I suppose that under the extreme conditions, the stuff comes right off and coats the inside of the wheels.