I have smelled electrical burning in my car. Like wires burning and my blower quit working on my heat and a/c.

Asked by Apr 07, 2014 at 10:40 AM about the 2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I think you answered your own quesiton. TIme to replace the blower.

I'm thinking it might be a shorter out wire or something and wondering if it is common?

After searching for you, looks like it can be the blower motor resistor and or wiring......http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/blowerresistor/replace/index.html

Typically it's the Blower Motor and/or Fan selector switch if it's burning. The resistor pack is Solid-State meaning that if it fails, you'll either have High Speed only or no Blower at all. Most likely the Blower motor has failed. Get a trusted brand - the cheap ones typically only last a year.

Is either of those difficult fixes?

The blower motor is simple. Under the hood on the passenger's side. 3 or 4 8mm head screws. I recommend getting a new fan too. It's hard to remove without breaking it. The switch is another story. It involves digging into the dash and usually it means replacing a pigtail that is at least $10 more than the switch itself. A quick and inexpensive check would be to disconnect the power wires to the fan and hook up a test light. But really, it's easy to pull the fan and hook up it's leads to the battery to see if it spins. Hang on to it if you check it this way! The torque from the fan motor will make it roll!

OH! The little rubber hose/tube on the Blower motor is very important. Be sure to carefully remove and install it. It isn't fragile but it is a little hard to get.