Transmission issue

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 02:36 AM about the 2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I have an 05 crown vic intercepter
bought the car from police dealer
drove the car after about an hour the
transmission started whining like the
power steering pump does when it's
low on fluid checked the fluid it's full
car shifts fine with over drive off turn
o/d on it kicks out of o/d till you let
off the gas was told it is the torque
converter i have never ran into this
problem before any help would be
greatly appreciated.

94,965

The whine is usually the front pump in the tranny, it can be caused by low fluid, too much fluid, broken or cracked filter pickup tube, worn torque converter bushings or the pump is worn out. Do you know when the tranny was last serviced? Is the fluid a bright red? If not you may have deeper transmission problems other than a pump problem.

Best Answer
241,765

I agree, plus you mentioned it kicks out of O/D, classic sign the overdrive band is burnt. So that tells me the others are not too far behind. I'm sure your looking at a rebuild. Hope you got it for a killer price.

2005 Crown Vic Police Interrupter P71 - 115,000 miles Used transmissions claim to be $375 in my area. They have a 3 year warranty but of course wouldn't cover the "labor" if it needed returned. The car is in very excellent condition except for the transmission. It might fetch $3,000 if working. Whine up front. The car moves until about 18 mph then slips into neutral until the car is stopped. This would be about where 1st gear goes into 2nd gear. Press the OverDrive button on the gear shift column off and it goes into Limp MMode (only runs in 1st). Commute 18 blocks on residential streets to Light Rail for 6 months doing this. Transmission fluid is perfect, no metal or discolor. Transmission fluid level is exactly right. It is a tough call. In Denver, all the transmission places want close to $3,000 and then they don't google up the best of reliability. The car is old enough that a used one might be just as good if I can find a cheaper transmission repair place.