Will An Engine from a 2003 Crown Victoria fit into a 2002 Crown Victoria?

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 07:34 PM about the 2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Both Crown Vic's are the PI edition.  Both
engines look the same other than some
things on the intake are different. One of the
major concern I have is the Exhaust.
Manifolds look different..

If both engines are the same size, it should fit.

The 4.6L Police Interceptor is a very universal motor. Watch for differences like oil pans, intake manifolds and the like. Just for safe measure, I would transfer all the electronics from the old engine to the new just in case there's a calibration difference (oh how Ford loves to change things!) Basically, I would do a Long Block Swap - more work now / less hassles later.

Paul Whitlock

easy swap over -- use the the harness from 2002 and if anything looks different use the 2002 stuff -- I put a 2001 in my 1999 and it was great

It will work...but there is a load of things to keep from the old motor...like exhaust manifolds...the fuel injector cradle...the a/c compressor...motor & transmission wiring harness...and if the speed sensor on your car isn't on the transmission tailshaft...that's 1 problem I still haven't figured out...Ford designed the 98-2002 models slightly different from 2003- 2006...that's why you didn't have any problems Paul...also use your old computer...and check drive shaft length...oh yea use your old vacuum lines...and all the parts they connect to...nothing hard ^_^ IF YOU DO THE SWAPS BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE NEW ENGINE O_O (your welcome) :)

Ull No

Will a 2005 motor fit n a 2000 model

Dylan Jones

I'm about to drop a 2006 p71 into my 98 interceptor. I would love to find someone who has done this for some advice to save me time but if not I will post any issues I come across in my swap. I'm planning on doing a full harness swap and also doing the trans and drive shaft to avoid any issues there. This weekend will be a busy one!

I've done this swap! In reality, you're just changing the Long Block. You'll have to use the '98 Oil pan, valve covers and the like. You'll like the result. The Throttle body vs. Fly-by-wire systems are Night and Day!

Dylan Jones

So your saying it's easier to strip the motor to the block? Or just the elecronic components? (coil packs,injectors, sensors?)

Yes. Strip it to the Long block. The oil pans are different as are the injectors and manifolds. Only the basic engine (heads and block) are fully interchangeable.