What downpipe should I go with for my 04 WRX?

35

Asked by Oct 13, 2009 at 01:46 PM about the 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Base

So I'm going to eventually do a TBE swap but don't have a clue what downpipe I want to go with.  I'm not really concerned if it's catted or not just want what's best for my car.

35

By the way, I'm looking for performance and reliability.

435

go with something that has a divorced inlet, because if you are still running the baby td04 turbo, it has a problem with turbulence in the exhaust flow. Invidia makes a good product but I am sponsored by a company called grimmspeed and they make one of the best products on the market for subarus. check out their website and be sure to tell them that Ryan sent you http://www.grimmspeed.com/

435

and a note on performance, people on NASIOC have seen gains of up to 25 whp with the downpipe and up pipe combo from grimmspeed

35

Hks Cobb or Perrin

35

Just modify the cat cause if remove it ur gonna have a check engine light n itll be hard to get it inspected

435

or you could listen to the guy who doesnt even own a turbo'd subaru who just lists the 3 biggest named products for subarus without knowing anything about them. HKS parts all you pay for is the name.

435

what are you talking about? catless is not a problem as long as you still keep the oxygen sensor intact. Plus any codes that the engine does throw due to going catless can be cleared by a simple protune on an accessport. I have a full catless 3in TBE with no issues whatsoever. Check your facts before you spew random crap

25

Okay here is a good combo. HKS DP = 120 @ www.gruppe-s.com, (catless BTW) Or ERZ DP @ ERZperformance.com Bothe good quality, and design, and affordable. As far as up pipe goes... depending on where you live at in the states. But for the O2 Sensor problem. There is a good company called Helix, And the have a CEL (check engine light) Fix screw's in between your piping and O2 sensor. you will get a good reading and won't throw CEL. that can also be found at grupp-s.com .

35

Well how about the Helix DP? Is that one worth anything? And when I do get the DP, I'm more than likely going for a high flow catted DP just cause I want to keep it relatively quiet and not have that ridiculous rice sound.

435

Haha you have to try really hard to make the boxer moter sound like rice, not saying it cant be done though. I have the full Helix 3 inch tbe fully catless and yeah it is loud but not at all ricey. Good luck finding one for reasonable though, the helix exhaust parts are discontinued. Where are you located? I will make you a deal on mine used in great shape if you want

5

really just look online, the HKS DP is not that good, and only the non bellmouth is 120, if your looking for quality then Go with an Invidia, now they have 4 types of downpips, 2 with high flow cats and 2 without...and on each one they have divorced wastegate...also other than that there are companies like Turboxs, Helix, also what catback do u have or r going with

5

also i run an Invidia V2 which is catless and non divorced wastegate, hooks up to the Blitz Nur Spec R. really loud setup but i love the sound, i also gutted my uppipe, also you might want to look into that as well, 02-05 had cats in there uppipe and before you go stage 2 your going to want to get rid of that.

5

quick time performance downpipe made for wrx with electric cutout along with an o2 sensor simulator

35

i like putting everything in at once so I don't have a catback yet. I was looking into maybe a borla hush or something that sounds similar to that. I've read that the borla is a 2.5 inch though. So not quite sure if I want to go with that. Basically, I want to keep it relatively quiet and bring out the sound of the boxer more. As long as it's not too loud I'm fine.