Help finding a leak

Asked by Jan 06, 2015 at 08:36 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet Chevette 2 Dr CS

I have a leak that comes in on the passenger side and runs down onto the floor. It
appears to be coming from somewhere right on the right side where the radio is. I have
sealed the vents from the outside and that does not seem to be it.

25,165

Is the leak present even when it's not raining? Might be a bad heater core.

No it is only when it rains. Because it's old I assume that has something to do with it and I wonder if it could be coming in where the windshield wipers are.

25,165

It might help to place dots of different colored dye on the windshield and door pillar, then hose the car down gently and see what color dye shows up inside, then you'll be able to pinpoint where your leak is. Also, under your cowl there should be an air inlet for the AC plenum (where your heater core and AC evaporator coil live), the drain for that might be fouled and water is leaking in through that. You'd be surprised how many times plugged drain holes result in water leaking inside. Water may also leak from the evaporator case (which acts as a dehumidifier when you run the AC or the defroster) if the drain line is fouled. The body itself has drains that can become choked with debris like leaves and can also become plugged