why wont my car start

Asked by Jan 11, 2014 at 08:22 PM about the 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1

i have a 2003 mustang mach 1 car will not start fuel pump was not priming. Disconnected the fuel pump wire to check if I was getting  power and now the theft light is flashing and the odometer is reading --------- and the cooling fans are running with the key turned on . did the exact same thing on an identical car and now the other car will not start.

21,185

First step is to try your spare key. If the theft light is flashing with the key you've always used, it can only be one of two things. Either there is a problem with the chip in the key or there is a problem with the PATS system. There is no way to start it with any kind of reset. If it doesn't start with your spare key, 90% of the time it's the PATS transponder which receives the code from the key. There will be codes stored in the PCM related to this problem. Oh, the odd time to many keys on a key ring can cause problems. Try with the key alone, not likely the problem but eliminate the easy things first. Put spare key in the ignition, turn key on for 4 seconds and then try to start.

295

This happened to me. I have a 1998 GT. I tried everything out there and then one day I was stuck in the Home Depot parking lot. Everyone that walked by tried to help. Even my mechanic, who just happened to be at the store, tried. After a couple of hours of disconnecting the battery, checking the spark plugs, pulling each fuse, trying a different key, checking the switch in the trunk, fuel line, you name it, I was just about to give up and have it towed. Then this guy walked by and asked if the steering wheel was in the locked position and it was not. He pulled it until it locked and she started right up! I couldn't believe it. So, long story short ... if your "theft" light is flashing, pull the steering wheel until it locks and it should start right up. Since that day, I've had the same thing occur more than a few times and pulling on the steering wheel has worked every time. Even if the steering wheel won't lock, pull on it both ways and then try it. So far, so good. Also, this problem seems to occur in batches. It hadn't happened for a couple months and then it happened two times in two days. Now, when I put the key in the ignition, I automatically look to see if the theft light is blinking. If it is, I turn the key off, pull the steering wheel and then turn the key back on. Theft light is off, car starts. Good Luck! I hope this works for you!

160

The same thing happened to my son's 2001 Mustang. After unhooking the fuel pump connector to check for voltage. What did it talk to resolve the problem with your's?

50

Omg thank you for your post was just broke down and you were right turn wheel til it locks and then car will start right up your a savior and thank God this woman was smart enough to check the forums whoot whoot on my way!

200

OK guys I'm having the same problem. It started one minute. Shut it off to go inside and came right back out-and-out it won't even turn over. The starter just clicks once but nothing else. Theft light is flashing only when the key is out of the if ignition. I do not have a spare key to try that out... any help?

10

Mine runs with the theft light flashing, and when the engine speed varies, the theft light flashes faster and slower, with the engine.

10

I have the same problem as Ktz. It's the strangest thing.... It will work for months then all of a sudden it won't start. I found three things that seem to work but I can't necessarily explain why... 1. The wheel thing KTZMEOW mentioned... That works sometimes. 2. If I work the key back and forth (short strokes... from the start position back to the ACC ON (not KEY OFF) position... It often starts. 3. Can't explain this one at all, but spraying Contact Cleaner on the key seems to work the most consistently. I think the PATS gets the key data from an RF chip, but maybe the key grounds the power source for teh PATS chip and that allows it to start? Can't fire the chip without a good ground. Also... Seems to happen more when its rainy or really humid.

40

I was working on my Dash switch light now my car won't start

Any one find any thing ? My car does the same , has theft flashing and will not start at times

160

I had to replace the ecu.

20

I just had tbis happen. I locked the wheel and it wouldn't start. I walked away with the key in my hand and came back and ot started up.... walking away with the key reset the theft problem.

10

Same exact problem... 1. Would not start- it would only turn over. 2. Theft light flashing.... and would only flash when cranking. Simply turn the steering wheel in both directions, and re-crank the car. So weird- the cars starts right up..

20

I will try this tomorrow morning before I take it in for a new starter. The battery completely died and the car couldn't start. I told the repair guys I need a new starter and they instead replaced the alternator and serpentine belt with labor costing me $500. Same problem occurred the very next day. No response from battery and I took it to Auto Zone and they said the battery is full charged. Plug it back in and it worked just fine. I had to pay $120 to have my car towed home from an address I delivered a pizza to yesterday because yet again my car wouldn't start. Lights and all worked just fine, but I thought I needed a starter. So if it is actually the anti theft light. How do I disable it?

I have a 2006 mustang gt I went into emergency room came out will not start.It doesn't crank over or nothing any suggestions battery is good so is alternator

I have a Mustang GT 1999 and the Windows, the windshield cleaners don't work how can i do yo know what is happening..?