why is my 86 lincoln mark vii stalling???

Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 12:31 AM about the 1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

would not hold an idle, changed fuel filter, still not idling. What should I try next???
please help

24,925

Most likely, the Throttle Body and IAC Solenoid (Idle Air Control) are dirty. You can remove both, clean them with carb spray and a cloth (no brushes). To properly reset the idle: Write down all of your radio stations, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, run the engine at 2500 RPM for about 2 minutes and allow the engine to Idle for 2 minutes, then Idle in Drive for 2 minutes and then Idle in drive with the AC if equipped) and the Headlights on for 2 minutes. Shut it down for a minute and take it for a short drive. Idle quality should be much better.