1989 Acura legend-Fuel pump runs when key is turned on, but no fuel getting to fuel filter?

10

Asked by Apr 27, 2016 at 10:05 PM about the 1989 Acura Legend L

Started with occasional no-start. Replaced main relay.  Uncovered fuel pump
and can feel it run when key is turned on, but no fuel is delivered to fuel filter.

51,175

Sounds like it needs to be replaced then.

10

I guess my question is if a fuel pump can fail that way; i.e. run but not deliver fuel?

4,905

1989...there is corrosion on your battery terminals, by now..in addition the battery may not be supplying the necessary voltage and running amperage...may drop with the old battery which is NOT taking a charge like it is supposed to...so reduced voltage and corroded connections are what is causing the trouble...get new cables...attach to a wirebrushed clean bolted surface so that 30 amps can get through~ New battery and cables is my solution~ need Correct, Clean power to the computer and control~

51,175

Yes most definitely. There may be a strainer on the bottom of it that may be plugged, but you would have to have a real dirty gas tank. You can check fuel pressure also, should run around 30 to 45 lbs.

51,175

Bob! Battery has nothing to do with fuel getting threw the lines when the fuel pump is running. What the hell are you talking about?

4,905

1989 means bad battery..and corrosion~ often compromised voltages....and the customer does not realize this corrosion has taken place~ Voltage, Rowefast...sometimes I actually KNOW what I'm talking about~