1986 Ford Bronco 302v8 starter and solenoid stuck on with ignition off!

150

Asked by Oct 18, 2015 at 07:50 AM about the 1986 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4WD

My starter solenoid sticks on with engine still cranking away even when I
remove key!! The solenoid is new as well as a new starter......
Could this be caused by a sticking ignition switch, the switfh down on the
steering column that the rod from key switch connects to?? Can I lube it with
wd40 or similar spray?? Would it short out switch?? Do I have to drop column
to get to it??

1,625

I would look at the solenoid first, you can try the WD40 it wont hurt anything but I doubt it will help. The way to can isolate this is when it continues to crank unplug the small wire that goes to the solenoid, if the switch is stuck on, the truck will stop turning over, if it keeps turning over its the solenoid

150

Thanks Steven This is the 3rd solenoid! I thought of the small ign wire but when I pullit engine still cranks away!!! Could it be a small voltage bleed from ign switch? It stops cranking if I tap on the solenoid!!!! Would small amount of voltage keep it engaged? Could I Put some type of resistor on small ign wire???

75,515

The small wire supplies power to engage the solenoid when turning the key, and power should stop when releasing from the start position. Should not be any voltage at this point on the small wire.. For some reason the contacts are not separating in the solenoid. Check the small wire, if ok another bad solenoid

1,625

one more test I can think of, unplug the small wire going to the solenoid, have somebody turn the key to the run/crank position your test light should light up. When the key is released the test light should go out, if it does not go out completely you have a ignition switch problem.

150

Thanks again Steven Tried the test light, voltage off when key released!!! Bought a different brand of solenoid. Same prob. The guys at the parts house are getting tired of me! Did I mention it doesnt happen everytime I try to start but seems the longer I hold key on,if it doesnt start right away, thats when it sticks on!!! Help!

150

Thanks rowefast Like I told steven, the parts house is starting to wonder!!

Hi ,new here and was wondering if you ever found out what was causing this? We have an 86 f150 and we have replaced the solenoid( twice) alternator, battery ,starter, and ignition switch . when we go to start the truck the starter keeps going and we have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. We undid the s wire from solenoid and tried to rehook the battery but the starter resumed trying to start with the wire unattached to solenoid . does anyone know what this is?? Need help please.

150

Hey Kerry L The problem is still there!! Haven't figured it out yet..... My work around is not holding ignition key on. I turn key on in short spurts until car starts! If I hold key on any longer than a few seconds at a time the solenoid sticks and the starter keeps turning with engine on!!! I have to disconnect battery to stop starter! Help!!!