Bronco ll 1986, roughs great with full tank, very rough with low level in tank

Asked by Nov 15, 2013 at 03:19 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 4WD

1986 Bronco ll, 2.9L fuel injected., new plugs, dist cap, fuel filter.  Cleaned fuel injectors
and tested fuel line pressure.
Climbs hills no problem with a full fuel tank.  Half full, seems like there is a governer at
3000 revs, oscillates between 3K and 2.8 K.  At a quarter full, seems to almost die, revs
up, drops revs.  No acceleration, only on hills.  My mechanic is at a loss.

Have you pulled the pump/sender out of the tank to check the fuel pick-up? It's just a light-weight nylon sock on the end of the pump.

No, we checked the fuel pump pressure, but obviously not on a hill. I will get my mechanic to do that. We did have a new fuel gauge so years ago, not sure if that was the start of the problem as I normally keep the tank full.

I remembered the late '80's - Taurus fuel tanks would "oil-can" on a warm day - the bottom of the tank would pooch out and drop the fuel below the pickup tube. They'd run out of gas with a 1/4 tank of fuel on the gauge.

That's is the same in my Bronco, I was thinking that the new fuel gauge is set wrong because it seems out of gas at 1/4 full.