1986 Ford Bronco, 5L EFI

Asked by Nov 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 4WD

It periodically started dieing when it got up to operating temp. just driving around town. I would let it cool down (about 30 min.) then it would start and run again. I replaced the ing. mod. and it seems to run OK, except it will sometimes stall out, like it is not getting gas. You never know when it will do it.
How can I check the fuel pump in the frame rail? Could it be the cat?

820

check your computer. when a computer heats up it will shut off try putting ice packs on both sides when it cuts out wait a few minutes and try to start. if it's heating up doing this the truck will start.

Idle air control, if they stick the engine will die ford had many problems with the early EFI ones..

coolant temp sensor can cause this as well.. these trucks have two. one for computer and one for gauge. find one for the computer and unplug it when its hot if it fires back up its your culprit. this sensor can also cause engine to run rough as well as many other issues. ( mechanic by trade )

130

Most likely is the idle air control valve. Take it off and clean it with throttle body cleaner. Make sure to hold it so cleaning fluid doesn't get in electric control side!