Brought my 2013 STi in for a rattle turns out it has a rod knock,oil was approx 1.5 quarts low. 11k on the motor and Subaru has done all the scheduled maintenance. Within 4k miles it burned up this oi

10

Asked by Sep 07, 2015 at 04:55 PM about the 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Turbo AWD

Is this a warranty issue or are they going to
say its my fault for not checking my oil
level,Although I have checked oil and even
added some at times.

31,645

Oil consumption is a common problem with Subarus. It's your fault for not checking the oil level and it's going to be expensive.

10

Bob, shouldn't a engine oil light of came on if it was low?

31,645

I am not sure if there is a low oil level system in your car or not. Subarus do use various amounts of oil and I would be surprised if Subaru doesn't try to blame you. If your car does have a low oil level system or sensor it may save you from putting out the money for a replacement engine. Best of luck with it.

31,645

Any new information on this?

10

Subaru replacing the engine due to metal chunks in the engine,looks like a bearing disintegrated

31,645

Thanks and good luck with it.

5

These newer STI's have a huge problem with ringland failure, Causing it to burn oil. Some dealerships with warranty the issue if it ends up being the Ringlands but a lot will just tell you that its your fault for not checking oil.

10,665

Every STI has problems. Check the forums! The interior trim sub standard, and chassis alongwith body's tend to fall apart! Don't misunderstand I like to thrash a STI for a day or two then I know its time to say bye bye... Read, the history of Fuji Heavy Ind... "Q: There's been much discussion that the newer Subarus are difficult to tune. Is it true that the '07-to-current Subarus require tuning with every aftermarket component installed or risk a potential loss in horsepower?~~~ A: It's not the engine that is more difficult to tune, it is the ECU that has gotten more complex on the newer cars. As long as the tuner understands the functions and logic of the ECU, the newer cars are no more or less difficult to tune than the older cars. Ideally you'd always want a custom tune to be performed with the exact combo of parts that are going to be run for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, Subaru chose an unfortunate ECU tuning strategy in more recent years (mostly '07 and newer) for Federal emissions compliance. Basically there is a long delay in the switchover from closed to open loop operation that forces the car to run very lean fueling even as load/boost rises. At that point, knocking/pinging/detonation is almost unavoidable and the resulting concussive pressure wave will crack the piston ring lands. In large part, this is what has caused some people to believe that the EJ motors are weak, but the underlying cause is actually in the ECU tuning. What ever, always engine woes.. Good Toys!