2003 police interceptor...... the lights just turn off randomly and i have to beat my steering wheel to make the lights come on and when they do come on they stay on for a spit second and have to hold

75

Asked by Oct 30, 2009 at 07:02 PM about the 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

down the brights to drive down the road(when you pull the switch towards you and you have to hold it) anybody have an idea?

15

fords are bad for burning up connections on the headlight switch. you can buy a switch and a replacement stub harness at carquest or napa

105

its not the headlight switch...its the life box under the dash straight up from your gas pedal..if they go out while driving just kick straight up and they will come back on...mine has the same prob and the only fix is to get a new life box....u can see it it just looks like a black squar box u could try to clean the connections but it is usualy sum inside the box and is very common in these models..hope this helps...

45

You need a new Lighting Control Module (LCM). This is a common problem in the 03 model.

25

I`ve had the same problem with any/all the ford vehicles I`ve ever owned/drove before. A very common problem with many of the Fords. Not that difficult of a fix/re[lacement. Good Luck!...Do get it fixed though a.s.a.p!...because the POLICE will pull you ove rfor it, and will cite ya` for mechanical failure! Had it happen to me twice, once with each vehicle...( My Fairmont Cpe. , & My Ltd Crown Vic.`-both!), and if they stop you at night while driving like that, they willl not let you drive the car & have to have it towed!!!...Believe me the replacement part is much cheaper to pay for than the citations & a Tow. Good Luck! (D.J.) /Plymouth, MA.

135

LCM! Just replaced mine for doin the same thing.

35

sounds to me like the headlight switch is bad. i had the same problem on my 1992 cv and i changed out the switch and presto...night time driving is possible again. hope this helps ya John

bad head light switch.

95

You have a bad LCM. (Light Control Module). Your headlamp relay inside it went bad. Very common on 2003 models.

100

Where is the LCM located in the vehicle ???

50

it is ur headlight box under the dash it starts with as easy as hitting ur wheel then u have to kick the dash lol i have had to replace it on my 03 and 05 p71

745

Had a problem with my high-beams, had to replace my signal switch to solve it. Some time would not come on... or they would stay on till car was turned off.

10

I have 2003 FORD CVPI. My low beams won't come on at all. ONLY MY HIGH BEAMS WORK. Also, I have no park lights or lights in the rear. My brake lights and turn signal lights work fine however. I replaced the LCM with either a 2002 or 2004 LCM but it only lasted about 6 months. I then replaced the MPS. { Multi- Purpose Switch } and that only worked about a month. I've been told it's still the LCM and to get a 2003 LCM or either a relay that goes in the relay boy up near the engine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Ben Bennett 336-965-1903 JULIUSBENNETT@att.net

225

Check the main wiring loom in the steering column. the plastic had melted in mine and the wires were arching. Could cause a fire.

50

I know this is an older post, but just a HEADS UP for anyone who owns a 2003 Crown Vic. I got a letter about 8 months ago from Ford saying the 2003 CV had a KNOWN ISSUE of the LCM going bad, and Ford was EXTENDING the warranty until Oct 2015 OR until you go over 250,000 miles. Sure enough, this fall, my headlights started acting screwy...wouldn't come on at times, and wouldn't go off at times unless the car was turned off! Anyhow, I called my local Ford dealership, and they checked it and found the LCM to be bad. They said there was a LONG wait for the replacement LCM from Ford (as in 3 months or more!!). So I called the Ford Customer Service and spoke with the area Ford Rep, and she got Ford to OK using an aftermarket company....withing 2 weeks my dealership had received a Cardone LCM part, and put it in for me....so far, all is good. So if ANYONE out there has a 2003 Crown Vic, and having headlight problems, it might do you good to call Ford and see if it falls under this Extended Warranty. Thanks all!!

Im havin problems with my 03 Lincoln Town car my turn signal bulbs are all good it flashes rapidly on the left rear head light but doesn't flash inside the cluster or on the front headlight either could it be the Lcm or i have to replace the whole turn signal a switch Thanks

30

ford l LCM mod is bad ford has a recall fix for free

I have 98 crown vic my signals does not work at all or i Ac it did at first can somebody help me

Everyone who said that it is the switch is wrong. It is the Lighting Control Module, or LCM. They were manufactured faulty. You can solder new replacement relays inside. There's only one that mostly fails but the relays cost only about $3 each so replace all 4. Or you can replace it with a Dorman 599-200 LCM for a LOT cheaper and of better quality. The LCM is located under the dash above the gas pedal. The Dorman is not an exact fit and you will have to secure it under the dash with cable ties.

Does this also apply to a 1997 CVPI? I have no high beams, all other lights work fine