Out of place serpentine belt

20

Asked by Jan 25, 2014 at 09:49 PM about the 2006 Acura RSX Hatchback 5M w/ Leather

i just changed my power steering pump (bearings were bad), and replaced the tensioner.  for some reason the serpentine belt is not staying in the middle of the wheel.  I had the belt set reset to the middle 4 times already, but after driving around a bit, the belt is out of place again.  This morning I replaced a new tensioner.  I was told the tensioner might be defective.  But again the belt is out of place again.  Any idea what might be causing this? The pump and the tensioner was the only 2 parts i changed in the car recently.

112,245

Check alignment of tensioner. It's pulley should line up straight with the other pulleys. Also some pulleys are designed to use a washer behind them to make everything line up. Did old tensioner look exactly like new one? Did it go on the exact same way? Any issues with the installation?

112,245

Is power steering pump mounted firmly and straight? Any issues during installation?

20

I am not sure about the detail about the installation. I just took it to an auto mechanics. I do notice that after the installation of a new pump (aftermarket) and tensioner, when the belt is in place there is a loud whining noise. Like a UFO noise. After the belt moves out of place the noise lessen or goes away...

112,245

Contact the mech that worked on it. He should fix this for you. He has something not installed or lined up correctly.

20

I took my car back to him this morning and he replaced the tensioner. He wasn't too sure why this is happening. Maybe need to take it to someone else :( what a pain!

112,245

Sure sorry for your problems. If there were no issues with it doing this before he worked on it he should be responsible for making sure that it is in proper operating order for you.

19,915

I would say if the tensioner doesn't fix it he didn't press the power steering pulley on far enough and it is throwing it out of line with the other pulleys.

Did you check to see if your belt is still in good condition it could have gotten something on it or wore down a little bit. When my belt was skipping off to the right side it was just because it's grooves were not deep enough if you do rev the car to around 4,000 or a little more if it skips back onto track you know it's that issue.

30

Here is how you install it.

I had the same problem. The aftermarket part misaligned the pull by about an with of am inch. I put the old tensioner back on m no problem. So I had to go to dealer n get oem Acura belt tensioner. My problem was solved