i have a 2011 ford fusion. it is cold outside, the key will not turn, iv tried turning the steering wheel (its not that problem) i have tried wigling the key around to get it to turn, didnt work, iv tried warming the key up a little, nothing. iv tried a lubricant that didnt work either. iv run out of all the logical reasons (consulted a mechanic theyve never in 30 years seen this problem without one of the previous methods working) please help its been 2 days now and i cant get it started because the key wont even turn a little bit. please help!

10

Asked by Nov 22, 2013 at 07:46 PM about the 2011 Ford Fusion SE

key wont turn
tried:
*jiggling key nothing
*turning steering wheel nothing
*lubung the key nothing
*heating the key and ignition nothing..

111,045

Have you tried another key?

27,515

the part where the key goes in the lock cylinder. they can go bad. Ive been a mechanic for only 6 years and have seen that problem more than once. it needs to be taken out and replaced. might be covered under warranty bumper to bumper is 3 years 36,000 miles.

111,045

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/2190-fuison-key-stuck-in-ignition/ - -- found this. Seems lots of owners having issues with keys either getting stuck in ignition or not turning ignition. This might be something to check out with yours. Just might have something to do with your issues.

10

yes i have 2 keys both will not work sry i forgot to mention that...2nd its not covered under warranty and the last response thank u..i will check that out thanks..

10

did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. :/

125

This is a problem with the Anti-Theft System. I am having the same problem with my 2012 fusion. I can get it to work sometimes if I wiggle the door handle or re slam the doors. There are a number of switches that if they are not closed the ATS will lock out the car. My car is still under warranty so it is in the shop. My current guess is that the switch in the driver door is getting stuck in the open position either from moisture or dirt or whatever. It only happens sometimes when the weather is damp and or very cold. In any case this must be addressed because I do not want this to happen while I am in a remote location. To date, every time this has happened to me the car has been parked in the the driveway over night.

27,515

You have no clue what your talking about major matt. It does not work that way at all. Check your facts before you post incorrect info

125

"You have no clue what your talking about major matt. It does not work that way at all. Check your facts before you post incorrect info" Well I am not sure as to what i stated is wrong? I have forwarded the events of my car mishaps and observation. The owners manual referred to the flashing icon as a Anti-theft system issue. This issue only happened during very cold and damp mornings. So I posted my two cents. and took my car the the dealer this morning. Since then they (the service dept) has called me back twice asking for more detailed information on on the events about the cold weather and key not turning. They have ruled out code errors, ant- theft problems and the door. We also discussed the possibility of the tumblers being the issue. the car is still in the shop. Sorry if I miss lead anyone. but I know how frustrating it is to try and start up your car and nothing happens and of course your car will work every time you get it to the shop.

125

Follow up. Turns out it was the Key Cylinder. Item was removed and replaced with a new one. It was rekeyed to use the original keys. Item under warranty. No cost to me. FYI.

I am having the same problem with my Ford Fusion 2007 it was used when we bought it...the ignition will not turn and the theft light keeps flashing i looked it up in the manual it says to put it on park 1 or 3 i have no clue what that means as I can't even move the drive shift stick???? Don't know what to do we tried everything and the dealership said for us to tow it in and that is over an hour away.

The ford focus had the same issue. You will probably have to remove the lock cylinder the spring returning the tumblers or pins have become wedged and therefore will not allow turning. Remove cylinder and remove spring offending sring and tumbler. No one but you will know. Funguy

I just had the exact same scenario as Major Matt this morning - I got out - closed door - unlocked trunk opened and closed - relocked the car several times - then the key would turn the ignition. Previously it was locked tight. I am calling my dealer

10

Just had this happen today. Luckily today after trying everything my son runs gets spare key and it works.... Last time i called dealer they said more than likely my key hole was dirty with lint or shavings..... Idk but frustrating

05/29/15 yesterday ignition locked up on 2010 Fusion, called dealer and service dept told me to hit the key repeatedly with the palm of my hand into the ignition. after 2-3 minutes of hitting the key, the dash lights up and i can start the car. now the dealer wants to charge me 460$ for replacing the ignition. only 43k miles. ive already had 3 recalls for various problems and this is obviously a reoccuring problem with Ford.